Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > maxing out a wallstreet w/ 512mb RAM, help?

maxing out a wallstreet w/ 512mb RAM, help?
sledsbehave
Senior User
Jun 17, 2004, 11:31 AM

there seems to be some confusion on which wallstreet will actually take 2x256mb RAM to max it out at 512mb. i just purchased two 256mb RAM that were pulled from a 233mhz. when i put these in my 266mhz wallstreet II powerbook, it only recognizes 128mb for each stick for a total of 256mb RAM.

so do i need to update some firmware? i'm not sure what is going on completely. why does it work in some and not others. there has to be some difference in the 233mhz and the 266mhz in my opinion.

any help on clearing this issue would be greatly appreciated.
as ever,
sonny

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 06:11 AM

removed, i should know better ...
( Last edited by d.fine; Jun 19, 2004 at 08:21 AM. )

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

ibook_steve
Jun 18, 2004, 01:30 PM

Sorry, but the clock speed has absolutely nothing to do with how much of a memory stick the machine will recognize. It depends only on the memory controller and the number of address lines to the memory. If you put a PC133 stick in a PC100 machine, it will run at 100 MHz. If you put a PC100 stick in a PC133 machine, it won't be recognized at all. As for your 256 MB times 2, I do not recall how much memory your machine could recognize. I'm sure others know this by heart or you can check Apple support for memory possibilities for all their machines.

Steve

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 18, 2004, 01:35 PM

d.fine is incorrect. As ibook_steve said, the speed is irrelevant.

What is true is that some modules are high-density, and will only show up as 1/2 the size on machines that don't know how to address high-density modules. If you get low-density 256MB modules (they should have twice as many chips on them as the modules you have), they should work.

Most PC133 and many PC100 modules are high-density, so you should look for PC66 or low-density PC100 modules.

tooki

Hypatia
Jun 18, 2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by sledsbehave:
there seems to be some confusion on which wallstreet will actually take 2x256mb RAM to max it out at 512mb.
Your Wallstreet will definitely take 512 MB of RAM. These RAM chips from Other World Computing (macsales.com) are what I put in my Wallstreet, IIRC. It's now in foster care in Seattle, but the RAM from OWC worked like a champ.

Forum Links
Forum Rules