Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can someone explain Deep Sleep for me please?

Can someone explain Deep Sleep for me please?
LagunaSol
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2002, 04:32 PM

With both my previous PowerMacs (G4 533 and a B&W G3 300), my Sonnet IDE card prevented deep sleep, so I was never able to use it.

On my new machine (Dual-867), I have no such limitation. But I'm not entirely sure how it works.

Of course I can put the machine to sleep via the sleep menu, which shuts everything down, including the fans.

I have my Energy Saver set to put the machine to sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity. However, rarely does this result in "deep sleep" with the fans off. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. What prevents deep sleep from occurring within the Energy Saver function? Do I need to quit all applications? Are there certain applications which, if left running, will prevent deep sleep? How about the Mail application? Does its automatic mail check every 5 minutes prevent deep sleep?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

P.S. I love my new machine. How could anyone gripe that a dual-867 G4 with dual-opticals and IDE for 4 drives for $1700 not be a great deal (at least in the Mac world)?

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2002, 04:44 AM

In Deep Sleep mode, the Mac essentially powers down everything possible including network interfaces, drive buses, etc.

Some PCI cards (including your Sonnet card) don't support deep sleep mode, and therefore prevent the Mac from going into deep sleep.

In addition to PCI cards, though, some applications can prevent your system from going into deep sleep. That's because they periodically cause activity that resets the system's idle timer, making it think it's still active and therefore not able to go to sleep. Typical culprits are filesharing, and any type of server.

Check which server-type applications are running. Try turning them off one by one until you find the one(s) that prevent the system from sleeping, then decide if you need to have them running.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Aussie John
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2002, 08:41 PM

I dont have any sharing services turned on and my computer still wont automatically sleep. I have even turned of Apple Talk. It used to work in 10.1

I think implimation is still a bit flaky.
John

Forum Links
Forum Rules