Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Does deleting mod iPhoto's also delete the originals?

Does deleting mod iPhoto's also delete the originals?
NY152
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2004, 08:40 AM

I am in the process of pruning my photo library in iPhoto. Seeing as I have modified every one of my photos I was wondering... When I delete the modified version of the photo (either cropped or colour enhanced) does iPhoto also know to delete the original it's saving as well?

Thanks in advance.
<over-large signature edited by management>

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 10:17 AM

You didn't say, but I do hope you are deleting from within iPhoto, not from the Library in the Finder. Going through Finder and messing with iPhoto library can wreak disaster! Been there, done that, won't do it again! In answer to your question, I believe if you are deleting from the main library (the "rolls"), the original will be deleted. If you are deleting from albums, the original will not be deleted. Hope this helps!
Mary

NY152  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by skybolt:
You didn't say, but I do hope you are deleting from within iPhoto, not from the Library in the Finder. Going through Finder and messing with iPhoto library can wreak disaster! Been there, done that, won't do it again! In answer to your question, I believe if you are deleting from the main library (the "rolls"), the original will be deleted. If you are deleting from albums, the original will not be deleted. Hope this helps!
Thanks skybolt for the quick reply. Yes, I am deleting the photos from within iPhoto itself.
<over-large signature edited by management>

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by NY152:
Thanks skybolt for the quick reply. Yes, I am deleting the photos from within iPhoto itself.
I use this great app to delete originals: iPhoto Diet
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Betox:
I use this great app to delete originals: iPhoto Diet
Another for iphoto diet.

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by NY152:
When I delete the modified version of the photo (either cropped or colour enhanced) does iPhoto also know to delete the original it's saving as well?
Yes, as long a you delete it from the main iPhoto Library window and not an album window.

Forum Links
Forum Rules