Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help: strange Hebrew font in some Carbon apps (pic)

Help: strange Hebrew font in some Carbon apps (pic)
davi
Jun 9, 2005, 07:22 AM

The interface font used in some Carbon apps has changed to a type of Hebrew on my machine, as you can see in this screenshot (click for larger):

The problem started a while ago on my Quicksilver G4 under Panther and seems to have been transferred to my new iMac G5 when I imported my docs and settings using Tiger's Migration Assistant.

This only seems to affect Carbon apps such as iTunes and Discus RE. I am running an otherwise English system.

Is it possible that I accidentally overwrote a system font, or renamed one of the Hebrew fonts and now the Mac thinks it's a system font?

[email protected]
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by davi
The interface font used in some Carbon apps has changed to a type of Hebrew
You have a font on your machine with a common name which substitutes Hebrew for Latin, and the solution is to find and remove it. You might start by temporarily removing everything in Users/username/Library/Fonts to see if this isolates the problem.

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Jun 9, 2005, 04:32 PM

Yeah that's a font issue, I wish my apps would change to Hebrew...

davi  (op)
Jun 10, 2005, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
You have a font on your machine with a common name which substitutes Hebrew for Latin, and the solution is to find and remove it. You might start by temporarily removing everything in Users/username/Library/Fonts to see if this isolates the problem.
Thanks for your advice. Yes, the problem is isolated to my user account, but I can't narrow it down further than that.

I created a new account and logged in as the new user, and all the problem apps (iTunes, GraphicConverter, Discus RE) appear correctly, with no sign of Hebrew. Then I went back to my regular account and temporarily moved the Fonts folder out of Home/Library as you suggested. After logging out and even rebooting, the font problem is still there.

So I'm guessing the offending font is located somewhere in my Home folder, but not in Home/Library/Fonts. Is there anywhere else I can look? Any more suggestions would be welcome.

[email protected]
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2005, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by davi
Is there anywhere else I can look? Any more suggestions would be welcome.
You might trying cleaning your font caches with the program FontFinagler (use Google to find). Also use FontBook to check for duplicate fonts (with dots next to their name), especially any with HB or something that might be Hebrew in their name or any duplicates of Lucida Grande.

davi  (op)
Jun 11, 2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
You might trying cleaning your font caches with the program FontFinagler
I tried FontFinagler and it fixed the problem! All the problem apps are back to English. Thank you tom!

Forum Links
Forum Rules