Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Locked into Powerbook Purchase for 3 years, Qs

Locked into Powerbook Purchase for 3 years, Qs
Hairllama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 01:11 AM

I need some help making a decision with the Intel transition looming. I just landed a job that will help with the purchase of a new Powerbook. They will pay half of any Powerbook I want, but they do it on a three year lease. This means that any Powerbook I get will have to last three years, I wont be able to trade it in or sell it until the three years is up. My options, #1, keep my current setup until Intel 'Books are introduced and then enter into the three year commitment. #2, Buy a refurb or used 'Book to get me by until I pull the trigger on the new 'Book. #3 just get the current 15" maxed out Powerbook and keep it for three years.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz, 128MB VRAM, 100GB HD, 1.5GB, SD
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB, SD
G4 500 Pismo 40GB HD 512MB RAM, Combo Drive

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2005, 02:25 AM

Depends if you want a rev A intel powerbook or not. I'd get a refurb now and wait for a rev B intel powerbook.

Marid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 02:41 AM

How badly do you need a new laptop? If you are using some old clunker I say get the PB now. On the other hand, if you already have a 1 GHz class PowerBook I would wait.

I bought a 1.5 GHz 2 GB 15" PB last summer and I love it. I sold my desktop soon after getting it. I use it at work and at home pretty close to 10 hours a day. As a physicist I spend a lot of time with Mathematica, Illustrator, Office, etc. Sure, some more speed would be nice, but making do with an old computer while waiting for the next best thing won't get work done that needs to be done!

( Last edited by Marid; Jul 6, 2005 at 02:52 AM. )

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 05:09 AM

Yes, it depends a little on what you're working with right now. A maxed out current Rev PB will for sure last you three years, but does your system need replacing?

Personally, I'd get it. You'd be paying half price for it, thats a 50% discount, and sell your current machine, some more discount there.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 05:32 AM

What would you rather: An outdated powerbook or an outdated dell? If you're gonna need a laptop now, just get it... you won't see an x86 mac laptop anytime soon I'm sure
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules