Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > [ANN] Chicken of the VNC 2.0b3

[ANN] Chicken of the VNC 2.0b3
smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 06:12 PM

Hey VNCslers!

If you use VNC to connect from your Mac to any other computer, you'll probably want to check out Chicken of the VNC 2.0b3. Chicken is the #1 open source VNC client on OS X and 2.0b3 brings a lot of new things to the mix.

We've completely redone mouse button emulation. If you've got a multi-button mouse, you can now opt to NOT use emulation. If you don't, we've added a bunch of new modes.

We've added a VNC listener, allowing you to initiate your connection from the server. This is useful when the server is firewalled. We've added an observe-only mode where you can watch the server without interacting with it. Lots of new stuff...

New Features
  • Reimplemented mouse button emulation and added new options to either turn off emulation for a particular mouse button, emulate when holding a modifier key and clicking the left button, emulate when tapping a modifier key multiple times, or emulate when tapping a modifier key quickly and then clicking the left button.
  • Added VNC view-only mode, used for watching a server without interacting with it.
  • Added VNC listening mode, used for connecting to a server that is behind a firewall.
  • Added menu commands to send cmd-option-escape, Insert, Delete, Pause, Break, Print and Execute keystrokes.
  • Added a "New Connection..." menu item allows you to connect to a server without having to use a server in the server list.
  • It's now possible to set bookmarked connections to always open in fullscreen mode.
  • Settings for servers discovered via Bonjour are now saved when Chicken closes.
  • Bonjour server discovery now looks for _rfb._tcp as well as the previous _vnc._tcp.
  • It's now possible to explicitly specify a port number rather than a display number, either via the user interface or from the command line.
  • Added French localization courtesy of Pascal Frey.
  • Added Italian localization courtesy of Claudio Santucci.
  • The server list in the Open Connection panel is now displayed in alphabetical order.
  • Chicken now handles urls of type vnc:// and rfb://.
  • Minimized connection windows no longer show a generic VNC icon.
  • Connection windows now remember their size and location.
  • Dropped connections now attempt to auto-reconnect.

Bug Fixes
  • Resolved compatibility issues with Apple Remote Desktop 2.2.
  • The 'F1' key is now transmitted to servers correctly.
  • Improved handling of double and triple clicks. They now work reliably.
  • Colors are no longer mapped improperly when using millions of colors mode.
  • Resolved an issue that caused error messages when connecting to TightVNC.
  • Resolved issues that caused connections to die with the message "Unknown rectangle encoding" or "Inflate error".
  • Resolved issues with pasting text to the remote machine.
  • Window frames are now saved properly between launches.
  • Resolved an issue that could cause a crash when using a Logitech mouse.
  • The Set Title and Connection Information windows are now closed properly when a connection is closed.
  • Rendezvous is now called Bonjour in the UI to fit new Apple naming conventions.

Oh, and Chicken is GPL'ed, with source available.

Enjoy!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2005, 04:39 AM

So, why does if have such a silly name ?

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2005, 10:31 AM

I think "if's" clever.

JMII
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2005, 11:09 AM

They can call this app anything they want as far as I care - it ROCKS! We use CotVNC instead of Apple's Remote Desktop to administer all the Macs in our office. In addition we can log into our network remotely via the server to access files from home

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2005, 02:51 PM

The Chicken is a great program.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2005, 03:36 PM

The name story: I wanted to VNC to my grad-school Windows box and none of the existing OS X VNC apps were cutting it for various reasons. I found source code for this NeXT app named VNCViewer somewhere on the web and ported it.

Later, someone on some message board was bemoaning the state of VNC viewers on OS X and I mentioned I had this port that worked well for me. They asked to check it out, so I packaged it up and spur of the moment named it "Chicken of the VNC" to keep from confusing it with the other 12,000 apps out there named "VNCViewer". I never thought it would be remotely popular.

People liked it, so I got permission from the original author to fork and put it on SourceForge.

"Chicken of the VNC" is a play on words of a brand of American canned tuna. I don't know whether the brand is known outside of the US. It's cheesy, but it makes me laugh, so there it is...
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2005, 03:41 PM

Is this chicken, what I have, or is this a program? I know it's a VNC client, but it says "Chicken by the VNC".
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
So, why does if have such a silly name ?
It's a play on "Chicken of the Sea", a brand of canned tuna in the US. The icon is a chicken looking out of a green tuna can, similar to the ones used by Chicken of the Sea. It took me a while to figure out the name too.

Supposedly, Jessica Simpson was once confused and thought that the stuff in the can was actually chicken, and she used it instead of chicken to cook something on her reality show (not being a fan of reality TV I can't verify this).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Is this chicken, what I have, or is this a program? I know it's a VNC client, but it says "Chicken by the VNC".
Maybe Jessica Simpson can do a CotVNC guide like the Britney Spears guide to Semiconductor Physics.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2005, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
I think "if's" clever.

(dammit - time Mac OS X had a grammar checker too !)

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 12:49 PM

This app is awesome; especially if you use it in conjunction with Bonjour and the built in ARD through VNC option in the sharing pref pane.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by smeger
If you use VNC to connect from your Mac to any other computer, you'll probably want to check out Chicken of the VNC 2.0b3. Chicken is the #1 open source VNC client on OS X and 2.0b3 brings a lot of new things to the mix.
Chicken of the VNC has always made me so happy... Great program, looking forward to this update
Oh, and Chicken is GPL'ed, with source available.

Enjoy!
Can't argue with that.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2005, 07:51 PM

Just started using VNC here, and Chicken was the first I tried, works great for controlling a headless PC box.

-Owl

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2005, 10:01 AM

Wow! Lots of improvements and only changine from b2 to b3 ???

Outstanding!

tigas
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 10:34 AM

I'm on vacation, but as soon as I arrive I'll definitely check the bugfix for the "Unknown rectangle encoding" issue. That was making me nuts!

As for VNC clients for Mac: I think I've tried them all and even with that goddawful bug, I still came back to CotVNC.

Thank you very very much, Team Chicken!

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2005, 07:52 AM

Would really appreciate someone jotting down a few quick "Dummies Notes" for using CotVNC to support my old man...

I know a fair bit about Mac's (well at least compared to him I do!!!). I'd like to be able to help him when he gets into trouble.

Given he knows nothing, I'd appreciate a guide to help him get the VNC client started on his end and whatever it is I have to do on this end to control his computer and show him what he's doing wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 03:51 PM

Jordan, you need a VNC server on the other end. Check out OSXVnc and it's documentation.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2005, 04:18 PM

Not quite. If the machine on the other end is running Tiger, it's got a VNC server built in. Just go to System Preferences -> Sharing, then check "Apple Remote Desktop" and check the "VNC viewers can connect with password:" check box.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2005, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Not quite. If the machine on the other end is running Tiger, it's got a VNC server built in. Just go to System Preferences -> Sharing, then check "Apple Remote Desktop" and check the "VNC viewers can connect with password:" check box.
Thanks CharlesS. I thought that Tiger had the VNC server in it....

So in theory. All I need to do is:

a) Get Dad to turn that setting on
b) Install CotVNC on my side
c) umm......

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2005, 08:12 PM

c) launch Chicken on your machine

d) set Host to Dad's IP address, and port to 5900

e) Type in the password that Dad set when he checked the "VNC viewers..." check box

f) click Connect

g) voilà!

NOTE: VNC traffic is not secure, and the password is sent in cleartext, so it is more secure if you use an SSH tunnel. You can either download SSH Tunnel Manager from VersionTracker or use the ssh command-line tool with the -L or -R flag. You would then connect to 127.0.0.1 instead of Dad's IP address.

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2005, 11:26 PM

g) voilà!
Friendly and helpful advice as always CharlesS...

I'll test it tonight when I get home just to make sure it's working. Then I will get Dad to change the password again and use Tunnel Manager as you suggested to make things a bit more secure.

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 05:11 AM

CharlesS is absolutely correct regarding the VNC server built into Tiger. I recommended OSXVnc mainly for the documentation on its webpage.

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 06:11 AM

g) voilà!
Unfortunately, did not work....

Typed in the IP address:5900 and got the following...

Any clues....

Tried turning off the firewalls on both ends. (They are back on now.)

Confirmed that the IP address is correct. Got them to install the IP widget from Apple's site so that I know for sure what it is.

Hmm, was hoping this would be straightforward....

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2005, 06:16 AM

I would blur out that IP address; you don't really want to advertise that to the world.

Are you sure that you checked the VNC check box in the Apple Remote Desktop settings? Simply checking ARD on in Sharing isn't enough to do it.

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 06:18 AM

CharlesS is absolutely correct regarding the VNC server built into Tiger. I recommended OSXVnc mainly for the documentation on its webpage.
Smeger. Obviously you have used both yet have still chosen OSXVnc. Is there any reason why? For someone who no longer has the time to become a command line guru, would you still recommend using the built in Apple one?

Seemed pretty easy to get the folks to go to the Sharing pane and tick the boxes needed. Bearing in mind that the server end is where the less knowledgable users will be .....

Also appreciate any clues you have to my post above.

Thanks,

Jordan

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 06:22 AM

I would blur out that IP address; you don't really want to advertise that to the world.

Are you sure that you checked the VNC check box in the Apple Remote Desktop settings? Simply checking ARD on in Sharing isn't enough to do it.
CharlesS - I knew about the IP address. That is actually a fake one! (Actually, it's the one on the Apple site when you download the IP widget!!! )

Yeah - even sent him the following screen shot to make sure that his was the same...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan
CharlesS - I knew about the IP address. That is actually a fake one! (Actually, it's the one on the Apple site when you download the IP widget!!! )
Huh, that's odd. Was the error message the same as that with the "Connection refused: connect()" ? Also, are you trying to connect directly or through an SSH tunnel?

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 05:13 PM

Huh, that's odd. Was the error message the same as that with the "Connection refused: connect()" ? Also, are you trying to connect directly or through an SSH tunnel?
Yes. The message is the same. For the test I was not trying to use SSH. Didn't want to complicate matters. Just wanted to get it working first then I would change all the passwords, and try again with SSH.

I remember trying this once before and giving up for the same reason.

Could it be something at an ISP end?

For the moment I'm using default ports but perhaps I need to use different ones? When I look at the details for ARD in the Firewall pane it says that it uses TCP 3238 and UDP 3238. This is not editable. Should I be going down that port?

Here's what I type in Chicken (IP Addresses faked again...)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2005, 05:40 PM

Whether port 3238 is open in the firewall doesn't matter for this; the only port we're using for VNC is 5900, and even that won't need to be open once you're going over SSH (and you'll probably want it closed at that point for a little extra security). I'd just turn the firewall off for testing, then put it back up when you're ready to go over SSH (the Sharing preference pane will automatically set the firewall up to let SSH through when you turn Remote Access on).

For your connect() error, I am wondering two things:

1. What kind of Internet connection does your dad have? Is he behind a router at all? Does the IP address he sees when he looks his up start with 192.168 or something similar?

2. Did you wait a while for the VNC server to start up? Sometimes it can take a half-minute or so.

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 08:07 PM

If your dad is behind a firewall or a router, that complicates things as you need to "punch through" the firewall, either using port forwarding, or by using a reverse connection, in which the server initiates the connection to the client, rather than vice versa.

We've also had a bug report in which people reported that they needed to start Apple's VNC server twice before it would take effect, but I can't seem to find the bug report - stupid SourceForge...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2005, 08:42 PM

If he's behind a router, we can get around it simply enough just with an SSH tunnel, since he's planning to do that anyway. But, first I need to know if a router is the problem in the first place.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2005, 10:00 PM

What's the recommended VNC server for a WinXP machine to access with CoVNC? There are so many, I can't decide which one to install.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 10:43 PM

Any reason 256 Colors doesn't work on a machine running Mac OS X 10.3 server w/ARD 2.2? thousands works fine.

Any way to add grayscale? The server is on a T1 with a few other machine running terminal services grayscale would be ideal for speed concerns, other than that great app!

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 02:51 AM

"The Godfather", I've had good results with RealVNC. "zerostar", what doesn't work about 256 colors? Please file a bug on Chicken's webpage.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 05:22 PM

"zerostar", what doesn't work about 256 colors? Please file a bug on Chicken's webpage.
When set on 256 colors the remote screen starts to load gibberish then the program bails out, i will file a bug thanks

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2005, 06:35 PM

For your connect() error, I am wondering two things:

1. What kind of Internet connection does your dad have? Is he behind a router at all? Does the IP address he sees when he looks his up start with 192.168 or something similar?

2. Did you wait a while for the VNC server to start up? Sometimes it can take a half-minute or so.
CharlesS that must be it. Yes he is behind a Linksys wireless router. He has Bigpond Cable (Australia) that comes with a cable modem, that flows into the wireless router that goes to his Mac.

I tired the same thing with Mum as well. She is on a Bigpond Cable connection as well that goes through the cable modem into an Airport Express that goes to her Mac.

Mum requires a specialised client to connect to the internet. I think it's got something to do with a heartbeat connection.

I on the other hand have an ADSL connection that goes into an Airport Express that is hardwired to the G5 (and wireless to the Powerbook).

I did wait a while for the VNC server to start up. And tried it again 15 minutes later.

Sounds like I might need to SSH to get anywhere here....

I've downloaded Tunnel Manager but am not sure where to go from here.....

TIA

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2005, 10:04 PM

Okay, you have a few options:

1. If your dad owns the router he's on, then he can go into the router config and make sure port 5900 (to use VNC without a tunnel) or port 22 (to use it with a tunnel) is forwarded to his machine. Then, you would connect to the IP address of the router, not the computer, and everything would work as you would expect.

2. Otherwise, what you need to do is have your dad connect to you via SSH to set up the tunnel. Note that now you will need to forward port 22 to your computer if you are behind a firewall.

Anyway, here's how to use SSH Tunnel Manager, assuming your dad is the one who will be connecting to your machine to set up the tunnel.

1. On your machine, turn Remote Login (SSH) on in the Sharing prefs. If you're behind a router, get into the router settings and forward port 22 to your machine.

2. On your dad's machine, launch SSH Tunnel Manager.

3. There is no step three.

4. Click "Configuration".

5. Click the little '+' sign to create a new tunnel.

6. Give the tunnel a name.

7. Set Login to the login name that your dad can use to SSH into your machine (note: you have to have a user set up for which he knows the password - it can be a limited account if you want).

8. Set Host to your IP address, or your router's address if you're behind a router. Leave Port blank, or set it to 22. Doesn't matter.

9. Add a Remote redirection by clicking the little '+' sign by the "Remote Redirections" list.

10. Set the left-hand Port field to the port you'll be connecting to. The default port for VNC is 5900, but you can set this to whatever you want. If you're going to be running a VNC server on your own machine, you'll want to change this to something else or they'll conflict.

11. Set Remote Host to 127.0.0.1.

12. Set the right-hand Port field to 5900. This is the port you'll be mapping to on your dad's machine, which is going to be 5900 for a VNC server.

13. Close the preferences.

14. Now, you're all set up and ready to go. All your dad needs to do is fire up SSH Tunnel Manager and click the little "Play" button to the right of the tunnel in the "SSH Tunnels" window. He'll be prompted for his password.

15. Finally, on your machine, fire up Chicken. Set Host to 127.0.0.1, and Password to whatever your dad has set the VNC password to. Display is the tricky part. It's based on the port you set on the left-hand Port column in SSH Tunnel Manager. Now, in earlier versions of Chicken, it used to be possible just to enter the port number here. For some reason, they changed this in the latest version, so you have to enter the display number. The display number is the port number, minus 5900. So if you set the port to 5900, the display number is 0. If you used 5901, use 1. If you used 15900, then use 10000.

16. Ta da! You're connected. It'll be a little slower through a tunnel than with VNC directly, but it'll be safer.

NOTE: If you set up your dad's router so that it'll forward port 22 to his machine, you use SSH Tunnel Manager on your machine instead of his, and you use Local Redirections instead of Remote Redirections. You also need to turn Remote Login on on his machine.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2005, 01:36 AM

So I've installed COTVNC on my PowerBook and RealVNC on my mother's Windows XP Home machine. Based upon the info I was able to find on the internet, I opened port 5900 on her firewall and was able to successfully connect to her machine over the internet from my PowerBook with the password I setup. However, as I kept on reading I came across info that said that VNC is not secure and this should really be done over SSH. The problem is most of these sites just mention this as if the reader already knows what it is, and how to install, configure, and use it. So after more research I have a good sense of what SSH is and what it is used for. A lot of sites mentioned a program called Putty but that appears to be an SSH client and it seems that what I need is to install an SSH server on my mother's machine.

So my question is what is the easiest SSH server to install on Windows XP Home that can be used with COTVNC? Preferably something with an installer and a GUI? I'd really prefer to stay out of command line utilities if at all possible. The bottom line is that I'm looking for a configuration to securely establish a VNC connection from my PowerBook to a Windows XP Home machine over the internet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OAW

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2005, 02:23 AM

Um... install Cygwin?

siMac
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 02:33 AM

Great update as usual smeger.

Any news on the keyboard mapping strangeness?
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by siMac
Any news on the keyboard mapping strangeness?
2.0b3 has a whole new event filter chain, which means that keymapping has basically been completely reimplemented.

So there's probably a whole new crop of keymapping strangeness now.

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 12:56 PM

If the headless Mac that I want to control is running OS X 10.3.9 and doesn't offer the "VNC viewers may control screen with password:" option in the "Sharing" "System Preferences" panel... can I do anything?

I do have Apple Remote Desktop 1.2 on the aforementioned machine (OS X 10.3.9), but won't be able to control it soon since my new machine is running 10.4.2 and Appler Remote Desktop 1.2 Admin won't run on Tiger. And I'll be damned if I pay $299 to upgrade to ARD 2.2 simply to manage my .mp3 collection on that headless Mac.

That's why CotVNC looks so great. But, how can I get it to communicate with my OSX 10.3.9 machine with ARD 1.2 Client?

Thanks,
BD

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2005, 01:40 PM

As explained earlier, OSXvnc will allow you to access a computer through Chicken.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 01:41 PM

Jordan, you need a VNC server on the other end. Check out OSXVnc and it's documentation.

Sorry, I missed this at first... I suppose this is what I'm looking to install on that headless G3 with OS X 10.3.9.

Great thread,
BD

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 02:49 PM

BoulderDash, I'm doing exactly that with an old B&W G3 running 10.2.x. OSXVnc works everywhere.

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 06:53 PM

BoulderDash, I'm doing exactly that with an old B&W G3 running 10.2.x. OSXVnc works everywhere.
Sure does! These are two great pieces of software! I wonder if there's a market for selling my ARD 1 discs?

See ya,
BD

Forum Links
Forum Rules