Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Processor....... New Laptop?

New Processor....... New Laptop?
kurt.physics
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 05:03 PM

The new mobile Penryn processor has just been announced and its just 45 nano meters (for an idea its it incredibly hard to see in a microscope; its less that a half of a half of a half...of an inch) This will be sick, plausible new upgrade for macbook Pro? New small laptop set for Penryn.

The fastest it can get is 2.8GHz, L2: 6mb how sick is that, much faster than the top of the range macbook pro.

Heres where the post/info is Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About

If possible could someone find the price, its really itching me. Ive tried but with no success

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 06:53 PM

The 2.8Ghz part is under the Core 2 Extreme brand because it has a higher TDP (44W), so it won't be in those slim MBPs soon. But yes, an upgrade to the MBP line is expected next Tuesday. It's expected to be relatively minor: couple hundred Mhz, marginal hard drive increase, and maybe some screen improvements.

You need a lot more halves to represent 45nm in inches; about 21 of them in total.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by kurt.physics View Post
The new mobile Penryn processor has just been announced and its just 45 nano meters (for an idea its it incredibly hard to see in a microscope; its less that a half of a half of a half...of an inch)
If you look at it that way anything with nm in it will sound really small. 45nm corresponds to the end of the UV range, also known as VUV (vacuum ultraviolet) because these frequencies are absorbed by the molecules found in air. This radiation needs to be guided through vacuum in order to prevent losses. OTOH that wavelength is still at least a factor five away from where soft X-rays start.

To put the 45nm in perspective: The new CPU will come from a 45nm manufacturing process rather than the previous 65nm process used for Merom. That's a 31% reduction and quite an accomplishment in itself. Beside that Intel is now also using a new high-k dielectric (IIRC it's HfSiON they're using, usually it's just referred to as hafnium-based) as insulator in the new CPU. This translates to lower losses in the CPU gates and that means less dissipated power. IOW less heat, more battery life.

The fastest it can get is 2.8GHz, L2: 6mb how sick is that, much faster than the top of the range macbook pro.
The 2.8GHz X9000 "Core 2 Extreme" will not find its way into the MBP due to its 44W TDP. The 2.6GHz T9500 will though. It's very likely we'll see the X9000 as an option on the 24" iMac as a replacement for the current 2.8GHz X7900 option.

If possible could someone find the price, its really itching me. Ive tried but with no success
Here you go, the new Penryn lineup:
X9000 - 2.8 (overclockable) / 6MB / 800 MHz - TDP 44 W - $851 -> iMac
T9500 - 2.6 / 6MB / 800 MHz - TDP 35 W - $530 -> iMac, MBP
T9300 - 2.5 / 6MB / 800 MHz - TDP 35 W - $316 -> iMac, MBP
T8300 - 2.4 / 3MB / 800 MHz - TDP 35 W - $241 -> MB
T8100 - 2.1 / 3MB / 800 MHz - TDP 29 W - $209 -> MB
(these are the prices if you buy in 1k amounts)

There will be a refresh later this year for the new Montevina platform. Expect Penryns with up to 3.06GHz running on a 1067 MHz FSB. Also, together with that refresh we might see the first quad-core mobile CPU from Intel. While its high TDP will not make it a candidate for the MBP it could possibly end up in a high-end iMac.
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 8, 2008 at 04:53 AM. )

Jesus On Cheese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2008, 07:57 AM

Somethings are happening now. It's Tuesday. Apple Store is down in multiple countries.

New CPU... looks like new MacBooks.
PowerMac G5 1.6GHz 4GB 1TB Leopard Server, MacBook Pro 2.16GHz 3GB 160GB Tiger, Mac Mini 2.0GHz 3GB 250GB Leopard, Mac Mini 1.42GHz 1GB 250GB Tiger Server

iMan G5
Jan 8, 2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jesus On Cheese View Post
Somethings are happening now. It's Tuesday. Apple Store is down in multiple countries.

New CPU... looks like new MacBooks.
New Mac Pro.
iMac G5 1.9Ghz 2.5GB RAM 160 GB HD 17" widescreen + external regular 17

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
To put the 45nm in perspective: The new CPU will come from a 45nm manufacturing process rather than the previous 65nm process used for Merom. That's a 31% reduction and quite an accomplishment in itself.
It's a ~50% reduction because it applies in two dimensions. 45^2/65^2 = 0.479289941
And maybe they also get thinner?

Dark Goob
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2008, 10:21 PM

Are they going to put an new GPU? Or continue with NVIDIA 8600M GT?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Goob View Post
Are they going to put an new GPU? Or continue with NVIDIA 8600M GT?
Nobody knows for sure right now. They could stick with the current 8600M GT but clock it higher (it is currently underclocked in the 15" MBP) or they could replace it with another GPU. We'll have to wait till next Tue to know for sure.

PaperNotes
Jan 9, 2008, 08:17 AM

Contrary to previous rumors (by myself too) the ATI and Nvidia GPUs in the last two generations of MBPs are not underclocked. Those who have cited lower clockspeeds were looking at the idle clockrates only.

I doubt we'll see a GPU upgrade in the new MBPs if the best they could do for the Mac Pro was an 8800GT and an ATI HD 2000 series.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 10:58 PM

Hmmm... maybe a light/thin 13" MacBook Pro with an 8600M GT, dual link DVI and an external optical.

As for a graphics chip bump, Apple doesn't really have any options - I don't think there is a mobile version of the 8800 series, and even if so, I doubt it could be squeezed into a laptop with a MacBook Pro form factor without melting right through the case.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2008, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Hmmm... maybe a light/thin 13" MacBook Pro with an 8600M GT, dual link DVI and an external optical.
IMHO that's highly unlikely.

The thermal envelope of the 8600M GT barely fits the 15" MBP as it is. That MBP is likely going to be thicker than a MB lite and it also comes with two fans that run constantly (2k rpm). The MB lite would probably have one, just like the MB.

In addition, for heat and battery life reasons Apple will likely not use a regular Penryn. Much more likely is something like an ULV C2D. Soldering that together with a 8600M GT seems to me to be a very unbalanced machine: the graphics power of a full-blown MBP, half the CPU power of a MB. Doesn't sound like the Apple I know. Just my 2¢.

PaperNotes
Jan 11, 2008, 03:34 PM

Last two days has seen most of the big name laptop makers using the Geforce 9 series. The chips have been shipping to OEMs in quantity for weeks apparently so hold your breath in case Apple made the right decision.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2008, 05:54 PM

The smallest laptop I've seen with 8600M (GS, not GT) is a 14"/5lb model from Asus. You have to drop down to the 8400M to get into the 12"/4lb territory (also an Asus). I expect to see X3100 from Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules