Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Q's about fw ports on current MBP

Q's about fw ports on current MBP
pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2008, 12:08 AM

Hi, just wondering about the firewire ports on the current MBP -

I just read a review of the current model on MacInTouch (see Review: MacBook Pro (15" LED)) and it stated:

"Expansion options include the diminutive ExpressCard/34 slot, FireWire 800 and 400 ports, and two USB 2.0 ports. (Both FireWire ports share the same controller, so connecting a FireWire 400 device will slow down any attached FireWire 800 devices.)
Based on this statement.. does the fact that both ports share the same controller affect the total bandwidth? What if I were to connect two FW400 devices? (one via the FW400 port and the other via an adaptor on the FW800 port). Would I get full speed to both devices?

This is critical to me as the purpose of this machine is for Pro Tools use and I have a Firewire interface and Firewire external HDD which both must be connected and running at full FW400 speed at the same time.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2008, 03:36 PM

I don't *think* that a FW400 device will slow down the port for the other devices, but to be honest, I'm not sure.

HOWEVER: one big reason people are opting for the Pro books for recording is that you can add a SECOND, truly independent Firewire bus via the ExpressCard slot.

This is the ideal solution for tracking.

pyrite  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2008, 04:29 PM

aaaah THANK YOU - an excellent solution
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2008, 07:09 PM

The system diagram is ambiguous, but I wouldn't be surprised if internally it was like a FW800 controller with a 2 port hub, with one of the ports physically converted to FW400.

It uses a 133MBps (max/in theory) PCI connection to get from the Firewire ports to the southbridge, so that could also be a bottleneck with multiple devices.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The system diagram is ambiguous, but I wouldn't be surprised if internally it was like a FW800 controller with a 2 port hub, with one of the ports physically converted to FW400.
As far as I know, this is the case (both ports are on a single controller, which therefore must be a FW800 chip).

Would an attached FW400 device be able to throttle speeds, though?
Makes no sense to me...

Forum Links
Forum Rules