Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 1st Generation Time Capsule

1st Generation Time Capsule
dennett
Forum Regular
May 14, 2009, 10:11 PM

With the current great deals on 1st gen Time Capsules, I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the new model or should I grab one of the $199 outgoing models. We've currently got a 20" iMac G5, and old Ti PowerBook, plus a couple of iPhones and an Acer netbook all running off of our first gen ancient silver airport. We're planning on adding a new 24" iMac this summer. I guess to sum it all up, how would the newer Time Capsule be better for us, or would it???

Thanks in advance!

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
May 25, 2009, 03:12 PM

Nobody has any knowledge on the real-world differences between the two models??? There are still great deals on the old model, so the temptation is still there for me.

Cold Warrior
May 25, 2009, 03:32 PM

What storage capacity, 500 GB or 1 TB? You can get a refurbished 500 GB from apple for $200.
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; May 30, 2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: removed confusing and possibly incorrect terms in link)

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
May 29, 2009, 10:15 PM

Are you sure that's the current model, I see no mention of simultaneous dual-band support in the learn more link??? I'm pretty sure that's the old model.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2009, 03:42 AM

If you can hook up the new iMac to the TC through Ethernet you could get an older TC and you'd fine. All your other devices are b or g devices and none need n. However, if you plan on hooking up the new iMac through wifi you'd be better off getting a new TC where you can have two separate networks: on running n for the iMac and the other running b/g.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2009, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
What storage capacity, 500 GB or 1 TB? You can get a current-generation refurbished 500 GB from apple for $200.
Are you sure that's the current generation? The clearance section has the same deal. And the offer doesn't say anything about dual networks.

Cold Warrior
May 30, 2009, 12:39 PM

I'm not positive now that I've read what you guys mentioned.

On your original question though -- I have experience with both the older 802.11n Extreme and the current generation (simultaneous dual-band). The difference for me between the two has been slightly better range at 2.4 GHz versus 5 GHz, but less interference (more stable, no drops) at 5 GHz. This isn't surprising given that 5 GHz is less crowded than 2.4 GHz and that lower frequencies propagate farther.

If you need to eek out every possible foot of range and want higher LAN throughput for some newer devices (e.g., file copies over 802.11n) plus wifi compatibility with your iPhones, you should get the dual-band model or an old model running one band (802.11g) with another device (airport express) bridged on ethernet but outputting 802.11n at 5GHz.

Those are a couple options; there are more combinations out there, including Simon's suggestion of ethernet for the new iMac while everything else stays b/g.

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
May 30, 2009, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll just wait to buy TC when we buy the new iMac. Simon's explanation pretty much confirms what I was thinking, we're better off with the new model. Plus I plan on buying Applecare with the new iMac, with educator pricing, and it's my understanding that a TC purchased with a new iMac and AC would also be covered for 3 years of AC warranty. Is that how you guys understand that to work?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2009, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by dennett View Post
Plus I plan on buying Applecare with the new iMac, with educator pricing, and it's my understanding that a TC purchased with a new iMac and AC would also be covered for 3 years of AC warranty. Is that how you guys understand that to work?
Yes. From Apple - Support - AppleCare Protection Plan

Comprehensive coverage
The AppleCare Protection Plan covers your Mac, as well as an AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule, MacBook Air SuperDrive, and Apple RAM used with your Mac. Mac mini, Mac Pro, and MacBook Pro customers may also register one Apple display for coverage, provided that the Mac and the display are purchased together.

Forum Links
Forum Rules