Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > permissions question for OS X experts..

permissions question for OS X experts..
UnixMac
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2009, 12:16 PM

Hi, I figured of all the places to get proper tech support, this forum would be it.. so I was hoping that someone with a strong knowledge of OSX might tell me why I keep getting the following errors in my disk utility log whenever I repair permissions. No matter how often i do it, I get this. It's not happening on any other computers I have. And is there any solution?

thanks in advance.

Reading permissions database.
Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Components/CoreMediaAuthoringPrivateComponents.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaAuthoringPrivate.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaPrivate.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/AppleProResDecoder.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions repair complete
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

lkrupp
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2009, 12:30 PM

Take a look at this Apple support document. This should answer your question, assuming you are running OS X 10.5

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448?viewlocale=en_US

UnixMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2009, 12:45 PM

thanks, but is that supposed to be an all encompassing list of "Disregard" messages? Cause for example this one is not on it... as aren't others..

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

Thorzdad
Aug 7, 2009, 01:10 PM

What you're seeing is perfectly normal for OSX, and has been, in various different permutations, since day-one. Dunno why. Whenever I do a permissions repair, I always get similar returns for different items (I'm on 10.3.9)

UnixMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2009, 01:17 PM

Ok thanks... if you all say so, good enough. What had me alerted is that my other laptop which is more or less identical and my desktops both don't do this... but, I tend to be a bit OCD.. ;-)
Apple user since 1981

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by UnixMac View Post
thanks, but is that supposed to be an all encompassing list of "Disregard" messages? Cause for example this one is not on it... as aren't others..
There is a master list of messages to disregard. It is comprised of the sum total of all messages you see when running Repair Permissions.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules