Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple Watch will be able to control Apple TV, says Cook

Apple Watch will be able to control Apple TV, says Cook
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 23, 2014, 11:36 AM

People will be able to use the Apple Watch as a remote for their Apple TV, Apple CEO Tim Cook mentions in the full-length version of a recent Bloomberg interview. "I love operating my Apple TV from the watch. I don't have to worry anymore about the remote falling through the cushions of the sofa," he joked. The interviewer notes that the public has yet to see the matching app. "There's -- I don't think we showed this," Cook responds. "I've got a little advance copy. And so it will operate your Apple TV, and you can imagine that it can control other things as well."

That may imply controlling iTunes on a Mac or PC, or even appliances and home automation systems via HomeKit. Cook's statement may be particularly significant in light of the discovery of HomeKit support in the latest Apple TV firmware. That could make the Apple TV a smarthome hub, or at least another component in a HomeKit network.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 1, 2014 at 02:30 AM. )

mac_in_tosh
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2014, 11:48 AM

" I don't have to worry anymore about the remote falling through the cushions of the sofa," he says."...So now you just have to worry about misplacing the even smaller watch. LOL

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2014, 12:28 PM

Misplace it, as in... forget which wrist it's on?

climacs
Senior User
Sep 23, 2014, 12:55 PM

I actually like watches. Old-style analog-dial watches. I have watches I wear as fashion statements and I also have "power" watches I wear to meetings. But I don't wear watches around the house, I don't see how I'm likely to have that thing on my wrist when I am relaxing.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2014, 01:33 PM

Oh gosh, all my life my most fervent wish has been for a watch I could use to remote control my TV. Now my life is fulfilled—Not. I'm starting to suspect that, unlike smartphones, a smartwatch is a solution in search of a problem it can solve.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2014, 02:33 PM

Great idea if the battery still has some juice left. I think hand swiping gesture for changing channel should be way to go via Kinect of some sort.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2014, 02:55 PM

Nah, you're all missing the mark. The watch will be able to detect your pulse, so in order to raise the volume, you simply increase the rate of your heartbeat, and, similarly, calm down when you want the volume lower.

Want a different channel? Sweat more. Want to go back to the previous channel? Sweat less.

Go to the next song? Ascend a flight of stairs. Previous song? Descend.

Shit, it's like you guys have no vision at all!

a1a23696
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2014, 06:30 PM

The remote app on the iPhone is not very good.... and I wish it was...
It may be handy to control the apple tv with the watch, but only if it actually works!

climacs
Senior User
Sep 23, 2014, 07:24 PM

indeed a1a, I would be more likely to have my iPhone or iPad handy when watching TV than I would the Apple watch.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2014, 12:28 AM

for a minute I thought he admitted they were working on the rumored apple tv.. then I realized "oh.. that apple tv.."

mac_in_tosh
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2014, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by DiabloConQueso View Post
Misplace it, as in... forget which wrist it's on?
Only if you plan to wear a watch 24/7.

chucker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2014, 06:14 PM

"Only if you plan to wear a watch 24/7."

true, that's really gonna stop me watching TV when I'm asleep

Forum Links
Forum Rules