Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help with corrupted extenssions

Help with corrupted extenssions
redondo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 1999, 10:40 AM

I have a 100 Mhz Performa 6300. On start up,
when extensions are loading on the desktop, I
can see three extenssions with a red cross
mark. I read somewhere that this means they
are corrupted? Is this the case? And how do I fix this? How do I know what extensions they are? I recognize one of the three being for
freeppp, and being corrupted would explain
some problems that I have when dialing my ISP. When I turn on my Computer the first time connecting to the Internet goes fine. But if I dissconect and try later on again, it won't connect unless I restart the Computer. I think this is related to the corrupted extenssion. Any advice/input
will de appreciated

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 1999, 03:49 PM

Redondo,

extensions with a cross all over their icons at startup are not corrupted, they are just disabled.

To change this, look for a control panel named like "Extensions on/off" (sorry, I have a german OS version) from which you may turn every single extension and control panel on or off, valid at the next startup.

As to FreePPP, my advice is to do a clean install of the whole FreePPP package, using either v2.5.2 or v2.6.x, but not v2.5.3. Make sure that you remove all old FreePPP files from your extensions and control panels folders (do not forget to remove the FreePPP preferences file!) before installing.

FreePPP 2.5.2 and 2.6 worked very fine with me for years.

Good luck,

Walter.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Walter J. Ferstl (edited 11-22-1999).]

macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 1999, 09:28 AM

The control panel you are looking for is called "Extensions manager" and the red cross means that whatever the extension was there to enable is not in existence or not functioning. try to find out WHICH extensions have the red cross through them, and then take it from there

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

Forum Links
Forum Rules