Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X DP3 screenshots

Mac OS X DP3 screenshots
rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2000, 02:13 AM

Go to http://www.xappeal.org/archive/dp3.shtml and see 19 screenshots of DP3 in action before Apple orders them pulled off.

gotterdamm
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2000, 04:05 AM

I can't help but wonder if these screenshots are real. Believe me, I hope they are, but there's something fishey looking about them. Can anybody who has used the dp3 beta write in to confirm/deny their validity?

MacScientist
Feb 16, 2000, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by gotterdamm:
I can't help but wonder if these screenshots are real. Believe me, I hope they are, but there's something fishey looking about them. Can anybody who has used the dp3 beta write in to confirm/deny their validity?
Those screenshorts on Xappeal.org are still there. They may be forgeries or they may not be--I don't know. If the shots are real, then the site should earn the ire of Apple. Yet, the site has signed every screen shot. Suspicious?

RichardS
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2000, 11:20 AM

XAppeal.org isn't a rumors site looking to increase traffic. Most of the people they want their site to see are professionals, like who uses OS X Server, although that focus is slowly changing. DP3 is out, and Xappeal has yet to intentionally falsefy any information.

RichardS

rtamesis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2000, 03:01 PM

They previously posted screenshots of DP2, and that was later removed at the request of Apple. I have little reason to doubt that these are forgeries.

markhers
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2000, 02:57 PM

Just so you all know, anyone who is under Apple's NDA cannot comment one way or the other about what is and what is not real.

Though, as we've all seen, that doesn't stop some people. So just remember that you may not always get a reply.

------------------

Mark J. Hershenson
Senior Editor, The MacOS Xclave
<A HREF="http://xclave.macnn.com/
" TARGET=_blank>http://xclave.macnn.com/
</A>
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to
produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Mac The Fork
Feb 19, 2000, 05:28 PM

Making even remotely good forgeries of Aqua would be a very difficult thing to do. One would have to pay attention to every single detail of every bit of the interface and copy it right every time. It might have been easy with previous versions of the Mac OS (and even then people screwed them up), but good luck with Aqua... Also, design elements from the screenhots shown on X-Appeal have been shown elsewhere, including on the AppleInsider Chat Forum and on Stone's Slice & Dice page.

The screenshots are the real thing.

jaisun
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2000, 12:55 AM

I have to agree with Mac the Fork...did you notice the semi-transparency of the windows? Only someone with a lot of spare time and a decent knowledge of image manipulation could have produced those effects accurately (not to mention the inclusion of both the shadowing effects and widgets...granted, neither of which would be as tough to recreate as transparency but both looked pretty darned authentic to me).

My two scents <--ehehe
- Design: QS G4 933 / GF4MX / R7k / 1GB / 160GB RAID / 60GB boot / Jaguar

- Games: Abit KD7-RAID / XP 2200+ / Ti4200 / 512MB GeIL PC3200 / 40GB / XP pro

rtamesis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2000, 01:14 AM

There are now several websites posting different screenshots of DP3 as well as articles on their experiences with using it. Appleinsider has it in one of their forums, and a few people posting apparently have actually used it and are trying to rebuff all the naysayers about Aqua and the Dock.

jaisun
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2000, 01:32 AM

Is there a way to get a hold of a copy of DP 3? I am curious as to whether it will install/run on my 9600. I'd like to know if it does/n't work before I spend the $ on it
- Design: QS G4 933 / GF4MX / R7k / 1GB / 160GB RAID / 60GB boot / Jaguar

- Games: Abit KD7-RAID / XP 2200+ / Ti4200 / 512MB GeIL PC3200 / 40GB / XP pro

markhers
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2000, 01:33 AM

Um...not legally...

------------------

Mark J. Hershenson
Senior Editor, The MacOS Xclave
<A HREF="http://xclave.macnn.com/
" TARGET=_blank>http://xclave.macnn.com/
</A>
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to
produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2000, 06:35 AM

Well, there are a whole ton of real screenshots over at my site (http://www.macopz.com) and Apple hasn't said anything. i Honestly think at this point in the game, Apple is taking advantage of rumor mills to build excitement...
;-) MacOpz

iPCTek
Feb 21, 2000, 06:44 PM

Yes, it is possible (legally) to get a copy of DP3...become a "registered" developer at developer.apple.com, you need to be either a "Select" or "Premier" member to recieve a seed key.

But, i'm sure it's not that easy....

rtamesis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2000, 01:25 AM

If you want Apple to say something, send them your URL and Apple Legal will send you a nice cease and desist letter the way they squashed the Aqua theme recently posted.

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2000, 02:27 AM

I installed it today on a machine at work, and I can definitely say that everything in the Xappeal shots is legit. That's how beautiful the OS actually looks. There are still some UI concerns, and the whole OS doesn't feel *cohesive* yet, but I don't think we should judge that from DP3.. wait for at least Beta before making any judgements. I was running it off a pretty slow drive on a beige 233MHz desktop (G3) and everything ran/multitasked beautifully! Not to mentiont the fact that the terminal application is already a shortcut in the dock.. woo hoo! Altogether cool stuff..

markhers
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2000, 02:57 PM

Sure it's legal to register, sign your NDA, and use it. That wasn't the question though. If you took it literally, cool. I didn't.

Not to mention that you will then also be completely and totally barred from talking about it to anyone who has not a registered developer.

Apple will also not send anyone who is not registered as a developer a copy of DP3. I tried to get a copy for journalistic reasons, to cover it on the Xclave, and I was turned down rather hastily by Apple. Not that they were rude or assinine, just that they will not be bending their distribution channels for NDA software just because there is a buzz.

Ergo, all screenshots are illegally posted.

I'm not passing judgment one way or the other. But I do see by reading everyone's posts that you all think that seeing these screenshots stay up past day one seems to give it some sort of legal credability. It does not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules