Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > www.macopz.com delivers DP3 Report 2

www.macopz.com delivers DP3 Report 2
macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2000, 03:46 AM

MacOpz.com has secured a deal with a source (who wishes to remain anonymous) that will keep screenshots of the third developer preview of Apple's make-or-break OS streaming in, accompanied by in-depth reports on new features. The first report in this series walks through the installation process and the basic features available in the new finder, as well as how thoroughly implemented expected features are. Report is up now at www.macopz.com.

The SECOND REPORT includes a binary for a Mac OS X native version of Lynx, more screenshots, what the user expects and hopes will change by
the final version, and instructions to change the desktop picture.

MacOpz Admins
;-) MacOpz

markhers
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2000, 04:03 AM

Two things on this report:

No offense, but there isn't a make-or-break use for a compiled version of Lynx. Anyone shelling out $500 for a Premier membership knows (or has a great coworker who knows) how to compile something totally baby-like like Lynx.

To my way of thinking, and I"m not really accusing or intimating, this is more to feed the black market DP3 users out there. i don't find this to be a quality reason.

And secondly, as I closed my last MacNN.com feature, MacOS X DP3 is PRE-BETA. What use is there for anyone at all to report on the interface, and how they are disappointed that an alpha interface doesn't meet there immediate everyday OS needs?

I get the idea - trying to keep the community informed. That has it's place, and that's why I run the Xclave. But actual analysis of Aqua...the Aqua of today...I don't know how much worth that has...

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 29, 2000, 01:25 PM

I think it's worth a lot. I feel like I know a lot about the interface issues with Aqua and I have never used it and won't have acces s to it before it ships with the final release.

Everyone now seems to be focusing on the Dock as not good enough. Apple needs to do better. Reporting on these things is a way to hit apple over the head so they fix some of these problems.

markhers
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2000, 01:59 PM

With all due respect, I don't think you know anything. Do you remember looking at Copland, and reading about how it looked? Did that make you feel comfortable with the UI?

It's the same thing. Aqua is very lush, and very nice looking, and there are TONS of bugs with the way old MacOS widgets are laid out when using Aqua, but these are very initial bugs. I am wholly unconcerned by the impact this release has on my life, my future purchasing plans, or anything else for that matter.

I can't say it enough - this is Alpha level software, and nothing else. Please please know enough to know that this release (which isn't even for consumer release...) is just another developer copy. Consider it MacOS X a3, not MacOS X v1.

macopz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2000, 02:02 PM

We here at MacOpz publish the content we always wanted to see published elsewhere, but were never able to find. Also notice that in each article we commented that it was a preview release and that the reader should not make final judgement based on any second hand, or even first hand information they glean from DP3. If the Mac community is not interested in our content, we get bored with publishing articles for our own amusement, and we go away.

Our weblogs somehow suggest a different outcome...

MacOpz www.macopz.com
;-) MacOpz

markhers
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2000, 12:56 AM

I'm certainly not going to get in a pissing contest over this, especially if the issue is self-justification through hits.

I said my peace, and that's all there is to say.

macopz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2000, 07:47 PM

I fail to see how any of the posts here, except yours, could be construed as a challenge to a pissing contest. We published an article, told the world about it. You criticized the article, calling it worthless and useless, suggesting that even though it is similar to the content on your site, it wasn't worth publishing or reading. You will notice we didn't even respond to this. It was when someone said that they found our articles to be worth alot and you attacked them for it, that we felt the need to respond.

To quote yourself: "With all due respect, I don't think you know anything."

MacOpz www.macopz.com
;-) MacOpz

Spacedog Spiff
Mar 4, 2000, 11:53 PM

Or maybe you see macopz, are impressed with the quality of the page, and attempt to easily dismiss the site...

gotterdamm
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2000, 04:08 AM

"Spacedog Spiff?" Great, now all the hack writers from Macopz are over here spreading their spam. That whole site is painfully useless.
your'e whole site is built around the fact that you got DP3 "from a source (who wishes to remain anonymous)" puhleeze, anybody whose used hotline recently knows that copies are everywhere
Now your article of the week is an IE 5 preview- ugh everybody I know has had the beta since January. Too bad you couldn't have had it earlier, you could have spared us that embarassing "Lynx on OS X" article.
Keep your spam in the newsgroups like the rest of the vultures and quit insulting the admins.

markhers
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2000, 05:09 AM

And with that note, this thread is CLOSED.

Forum Links
Forum Rules