Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Samsung tops Rescuecom Reliability Report

Samsung tops Rescuecom Reliability Report
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 30, 2012, 11:10 AM

Rescuecom has released the latest version of its annual Computer Reliability Report, with Samsung topping the list of computer manufacturers by a wide margin. While Samsung's market share is among the smallest of the companies on the list, the build quality of its computers, in combination with the company's after-sale customer support, puts it far ahead of the other, more popular manufacturers.

The report looks at both the quality of a computer and the quality of the computer support provided by a manufacturer. Build quality is based in part on the proportion of service calls coming in to 1-800-RESCUE-PC that involve a particular manufacturer. Samsung topped the list of manufacturers with at least one 1.0 percent market share, scoring 422 points on the Computer Reliability scale. Next was IBM/Lenovo at 255 points; then Asus, Apple, and Toshiba at 159, 130, and 117 points, respectively. HP, Dell, Sony, and Acer rounded out the list at 109, 79, 49, and 28, respectively. Rescuecom noted that Lenovo has been climbing up the index for the last several years. Apple, meanwhile, has undergone significant market share growth, but Rescuecom believes the reliability of its machines has decreased as a result of their increased popularity.

macvette
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2012, 12:04 PM

That study is COMPLETELY unscientific! How does a manufacturer's market share correlate to the number of people that call this place for repairs? Samsung's market share of 1% is down in the noise. Another huge issue with these "statistics" is there is no mention how many of the repairs were performed due to accidental damage. Someone spilling coffee onto their notebook's keyboard has nothing to do with reliability, yet that person may still call this place for a repair. Junk science at its best...

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2012, 12:11 PM

It's called margin of error.

Reminds me of Microsoft's 'independent' Mojave Project. Rigged completely.

hayesk
Jul 30, 2012, 12:42 PM

PC techs are a dime a dozen. Every business knows of local PC repair shops in their local area. Mac repair places, not so much. This skews the numbers. Rescue PC is not seeing more PC calls because PC owners are calling local guys directly.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2012, 04:11 PM

Excuses, excuses. All I hear are excuses. What if Samsung does produce more reliable computers? What say you then?

macvette
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2012, 07:31 AM

@wrenchy

I'm not saying that Apple is better than Samsung. I've had issues with a couple of my Macs. I've had issues with PC's, too. No computer is 100% perfect. All I'm saying is that this article is misleading and not a scientific study.

Forum Links
Forum Rules