Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Out on the street

Out on the street
jpyrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2003, 01:01 AM

My parents kicked me out when they found out I bought a PB.
What the f am I going to do? I cant sleep in the shelter because
someone will steal my PB. I cant sent it back, it has a scratch on it
from the argument with my dad. And i dont have all the stuff.

I'm living under a highway overpass, using bluetooth through my phone.. At least its summer, hope it doesnt rain. My parents can
have my powerbook when they prey it from my dead, cold hands.

J

Burke
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2003, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by jpyrett:
My parents kicked me out when they found out I bought a PB.
What the f am I going to do? I cant sleep in the shelter because
someone will steal my PB. I cant sent it back, it has a scratch on it
from the argument with my dad. And i dont have all the stuff.

I'm living under a highway overpass, using bluetooth through my phone.. At least its summer, hope it doesnt rain. My parents can
have my powerbook when they prey it from my dead, cold hands.

J
Tongue planted firmly in cheek...?

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 02:28 AM

That's an extremely sad story.

I'd like to help out if you'd let me. I'll be willing to take that poor Powerbook out of your hands and provide it a good home, that is, until you can get your life back in order, of course.
I, ASIMO.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Burke:
Tongue planted firmly in cheek...?
I certainly hope so, that's a horrible story.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2003, 10:21 AM

Dude, I'm sure you're doing what looks like the best thing, what the F(*# is wrong with you?

I know that it's nice and all, but
ITS A COMPUTER. IT WILL NOT KEEP YOU FROM GETTING YOUR A$$ RAINED ON. I admire that you don't want to cave, but if you choose to stay out there, it should be for the principle, not the freaking PB.

Besides, if you're living out on the street, sitting there with a nice silver glowing expensive-looking thing, it's just a matter of time before someone with a box cutter comes along and takes it. If you're lucky, they won't kill you to get it.

If this is really about the principle, find somewhere to stay or pawn the thing and get a room somewhere. Serious, do what you have to do...and understand that even if your PB gets destroyed, pawned, whatever, it will not matter worth sh&% in a year or so. What will matter is whether you got stabbed while sitting under a bridge reading a forum rather than securing a safe place to stay.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

Burke
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2003, 10:23 AM

I'm afraid if your parents will kick you out for buying a PowerBook, your cellphone won't last much longer, either.

jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2003, 10:35 AM

How is the bluetooth/cell combo working? I'm eagerly waiting for the first Sprint phone with BT, the SE T608...

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 10:35 AM

Go home.

Burke
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2003, 10:43 AM

You know, this story is highly dubious...if it's indeed true, i believe there is definitely something you're not telling us.

HOW did you buy the PowerBook? If you used money that you earned yourself, then I don't see how they have any say in it. However, if you used their credit card without their knowledge or raided your college trust fund or something like that, then I can completely understand their vehemence.

Like killer said above, it's just a computer. I would say it's not worth all this strife, even IF you're trying to stand on principle. Let it go and keep yourself safe.

bluejam
Jun 18, 2003, 10:57 AM

Hey Killer and Burke. It's a joke! Jeez!
I don't need no stinkin' signature!

bluejam
Jun 18, 2003, 11:01 AM

Allow me to add, however, some of you DO take your computerized existence way too seriously. Your powerbooks are nothing more than a tool and a toy.
I don't need no stinkin' signature!

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2003, 11:04 AM

Do you know something I don't?

If you haven't noticed, there are plenty of people kicking around who would put themselves into a situation like this. If it's a joke, whatever, no problem, but until I hear the poster say so, I'm not going to assume anything.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

daniel999
Jun 18, 2003, 04:07 PM

He's got kick out on the street....how is he going to reply?
Got a 12" Powerbook ^__^

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2003, 04:29 PM

Wow, his parents sound like loonies. Best go to social services.

beachmark
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2003, 05:06 PM

The 17 inch powerbook is so big that it can be used as a roof aswell. So in fact you bought an apple and you got a roof ove ryour head with it for free. i bet thatthose guys and girls in cupertino neverhad thoguth that a powerbook would be used for that purpose.

ps
i bet aswell that the keyboard will give you some nice lights. only do not forget to putthe comupter to sleep every night as it might otherwise switch off by itself and it is not easy charging without your own electricity. maybe the mayor will allow you to tap electriciy from one of the traffic lights or city lamp post
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by daniel999:
Using bluetooth through his phone, I expect?

jpyrett  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2003, 05:50 PM

I am doing okay now. My parents were just mad that I didnt get a Fathers Day present. I am really grateful for the help. It was a long night.

Burke
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2003, 06:32 PM

You could always put the PowerBook under heavy load for an hour or so and let all the bums warm their hands on it.

mixtup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by daniel999:
I hear that public libraries in the states have internet access. The library could also double as a rain shelter...
"That was very true, he thought. There was a direct, intimate connection between chastity and political orthodoxy." -Orwell

sportymonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 07:36 AM

Don't want to sound cold but Let's hear this story again - "young person (assumed) with lots of money (bought a Powerbook without parents knowing it) with bluetooth and cell phone (that parents probably had to buy due to credit requirements or else back to has lots of money again).

Kicked out on the street (no friends in his life to turn to??) becasue he didn't buy his father a Father's Day gift.

1. Parents usually don't that upset about no parent's day gift, appears to more behind this than we are told. This is more than an isolated incident. Would be reluctant to call parents looney on the ifo provided.

2. Young person has too much money and too little maturity. If he can buy a powerbook, and cellphone, he could have bought something for dad.

3. My father had just gone into a nursing home. Asked on the Monday before Mother's Day when I was coming down to see him. Told him As soon as school got out for my son (son missed too many days to miss any more). Would be there in a couple of weeks. (Live 11 hours away.) He passed away on the Wednesday before Mothers Day.

Sure wish I could give him a gift. To him, our just being there with him was his gift.

Advise our young person to get home and take a good look at what he has before he doens't have it.

"... you don't know what you've got till it's gone, paved paradise and put up a parking lot..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules