Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > DVD Authoring Advice, please

DVD Authoring Advice, please
mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2003, 09:36 AM

Hi all,

A client has asked for a presentation of a factory walkaround on DVD. I've never done any DVD stuff before, and I'd really like some advice on how best to proceed before I head out & buy any hardware or software.

The factory will consist of around 20 different areas. I would like to present this on an isometric plan, where the viewer can use the arrows to choose different areas and then play the related movie. At the end of each movie, I would like to return to the plan. If possible I would like to include an option to play all the movies in sequence.

The movies are being produced in 3D Studio MAX, and will be rendered to quicktime movies.

The hardware I have so far includes a DVD-ROM Cube 450, a CD-RW Powerbook DVI and a selection of old & battered PCs.

Does anyone have suggestions as to software I can use for this, mac or PC? As cheap as possible is best. As I will likely as not be buying a DVD writer for this project, one which has bundled software would be ideal.

Which type of DVD (+R or -R) is most widely understood by domestic DVD players?

Are the features I described above 'advanced' or can they be done by the cheaper, home market DVD apps? The last thing I want is to be stuck with a pre-defined iDVD theme about surfing!

Thanks for taking the time to read!

-mrwalker

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2003, 10:15 AM

Hmmmm... That could be done with DVD Studio Pro, but that ain't cheap obviously. You'd need to buy DVD Studio Pro ($500), QuickTime Pro ($30), and an external DVD-R drive ($300).

As I will likely as not be buying a DVD writer for this project, one which has bundled software would be ideal.
Typo?

mrwalker  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by mrwalker:
As I will likely as not be buying a DVD writer for this project, one which has bundled software would be ideal.
I don't think it's a typo, it just doesn't scan. I have access to one on a friends' PC.

Which bit can't be done with the cheap packages?

-mrwalker

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2003, 11:14 AM

I don't think it's a typo, it just doesn't scan. I have access to one on a friends' PC.

Which bit can't be done with the cheap packages?

-mrwalker
I still don't understand that line.

Anyways, the PC and Mac cheap packages just don't look good, and don't offer enough customization.

DVD Studio Pro 1.5 offers no proconfig'd menus, etc, but you just design your own to suit your needs. Much more work, but at least the final product doesn't come out looking like everybody else's work.

mrwalker  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
I still don't understand that line.
You're right, it's gollum.
Anyways, the PC and Mac cheap packages just don't look good, and don't offer enough customization.

DVD Studio Pro 1.5 offers no proconfig'd menus, etc, but you just design your own to suit your needs. Much more work, but at least the final product doesn't come out looking like everybody else's work.
I read your FAQ, which was very helpful, thanks.

So how does this DVD thing work then, is it some sort of markup language? Do you have a link that might help me?

Cheers,

-mrwaker

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2003, 05:11 AM

Hi all,

A client has asked for a presentation of a factory walkaround on DVD. I've never done any DVD stuff before, and I'd really like some advice on how best to proceed before I head out & buy any hardware or software.

The factory will consist of around 20 different areas. I would like to present this on an isometric plan, where the viewer can use the arrows to choose different areas and then play the related movie. At the end of each movie, I would like to return to the plan. If possible I would like to include an option to play all the movies in sequence.

The movies are being produced in 3D Studio MAX, and will be rendered to quicktime movies.

The hardware I have so far includes a DVD-ROM Cube 450, a CD-RW Powerbook DVI and a selection of old & battered PCs.

Does anyone have suggestions as to software I can use for this, mac or PC? As cheap as possible is best. As I will likely as not be buying a DVD writer for this project, one which has bundled software would be ideal.

Which type of DVD (+R or -R) is most widely understood by domestic DVD players?

Are the features I described above 'advanced' or can they be done by the cheaper, home market DVD apps? The last thing I want is to be stuck with a pre-defined iDVD theme about surfing!

Thanks for taking the time to read!

-mrwalker

to the first part of your problems
your idea is, that the watcher of this dvd has a map with 20 points of ineters, he/she could acccess directly on your dvd, right?

that's a lil' fumbly on a tv screen: the map PLUS 20 indices, tv has very low resolution compared to a computer monitor...

ok, anyhow, a cheap resultion:
look for vcd builder; you can import your map (with 1 - 20 numbers on it) as jpeg file; than you can import your 20 animations and use the very intuitive GUI of vcd builder; when you import mpg2, vcd builder will build a s-vcd, which has a reasonable quality and is a s usefull as a dvd; the final s-vcd is burned with any cd-writer you have.........

ok, another cheap resolution:
all 20 parts have the same length (e.g 3min); make a "movie" of your map, say 10min (this will be your "menu"); stick them all together (qtpro); convert them with ffmpg (VT); import the final mpg2 file in sizzle (vt); set section marks every 3min (section 2=first movie after 10min, of course).

hey, that looks cheap!!!

idvd (80min video, max 39 sections)? part of ilife? 59$?? if you use an expandable mac (i have a Cube), you can buy any pioneer05 superdrive, whole solution for less then 400$

Forum Links
Forum Rules