Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How do I rename my home network?

How do I rename my home network?
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 02:30 AM

It is "default" right now, and I use a D-Link 614+. Probably would like the router to be named D-link or something.
iamwhor3hay

larkost
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 01:37 PM

This must be changed in the router, your computer just reads the name given it. You should read the manual....

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by larkost:
This must be changed in the router, your computer just reads the name given it. You should read the manual....
If I could find it. The guy who installed it (family friend) took the box and the manual with him. But I think there is a manual online, so I shall look there.
iamwhor3hay

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 02:43 AM

Would you know the IP Address of your router? You can check by going to the Network Preferences. In any case, most 3rd party routers/base-stations have web-based administration tools. All you need to do is open a new browser window and typing http://<ip.address.of.router>/ (e.g. http://192.168.0.1/). This should bring you to the login screen asking for the administrator password.

You can download an electronic version of the manual for your product from D-Link's website. You can get either the manual for Revision A or Revision B (Revision A has 2 antennas, whereas Revision B has only one).

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
Would you know the IP Address of your router? You can check by going to the Network Preferences. In any case, most 3rd party routers/base-stations have web-based administration tools. All you need to do is open a new browser window and typing http://<ip.address.of.router>/ (e.g. http://192.168.0.1/). This should bring you to the login screen asking for the administrator password.

You can download an electronic version of the manual for your product from D-Link's website. You can get either the manual for Revision A or Revision B (Revision A has 2 antennas, whereas Revision B has only one).
yes, i have the revision A and the 192.168.0.1 is the router IP. i have it saved on my desktop
iamwhor3hay

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 23, 2004, 04:44 PM

I am sure they have the router manual online.

"Hello, what have we here?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 23, 2004, 07:33 PM

Here is the manual. Changing the network name isn't too big a deal-you basically open a browser and enter the router's IP address, then navigate to the appropriate control. How? Well that's what the manual's for!

Just about every router (wireless and otherwise) works this way for setup and configuration. If you run into language you don't understand, ask about it here, and we'll help.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules