Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Black Themes?

Black Themes?
SLiMeX
Senior User
Mar 18, 2007, 05:52 PM

I've searched for a thread including the best black themes, and found nothing. I'm looking for a theme that'll go well with my background and choices for icons, etc. So far, I've tried Photopro, Cold, and nDark Aqua. Any other nice looking black/translucent themes? I love the way they look.

Also, I had to re-install OSX on my Macbook, and never saved all of my icons I used for modding. I'm looking for the realistic, black internal hard drive. If anyone can point me in the right direction, please do.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 06:03 PM

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Mar 18, 2007, 06:08 PM

Thanks! Did you just search for those on Interfacelift?

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 06:15 PM

No, I just knew where to find them.

Ren Qian
Mar 18, 2007, 06:20 PM

Void has a black version

Themes @ styleAddicted

glypht
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2007, 12:27 PM

Actually, you're all wrong...

Cold

Best. Black. Theme. Ever.

(Apart from UnityGK!)

;-)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2007, 12:32 PM

don't forget:

photopro

also amazing...!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 01:57 PM

Thanks, however I mentioned Photopro and Cold in the thread-starter.

glypht
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2007, 03:34 PM

*Slaps forehead*

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX View Post
Thanks, however I mentioned Photopro and Cold in the thread-starter.
you mean we're supposed to read the thread before responding??
oops...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Mar 23, 2007, 01:45 AM

No one else?

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2007, 11:29 AM

JetBlack has some longterm usability issues but is pretty neat for a while.
ProLCD Black is not quite "Dark" but is fully usuable.
AmunRaa is showing promise.

LBoogie
Mar 25, 2007, 01:09 AM

Kuro is really nice...
DSKY : guikit

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 25, 2007, 02:01 PM

Frankly none of those black themes are doing the job for me. I thought Cold or PhotoPro might but then looked at how badly they messed up Photoshop's tool palette icons. Hardly visible. The Finder also look very unattractive with some of those themes listed above.

To that end I've downloaded ThemePark and will endeavor to make a theme that is just right. I haven't themed for a long time. I was one of the few guys here back in 2001 who were the first to edit and replace resource files manually. I created a Windows Blue titlebar theme, Windows Black titlebar theme and the first NeXT theme back then. Let me see what I can do now I have a theme making app
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Mar 25, 2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Peterson View Post
Frankly none of those black themes are doing the job for me. I thought Cold or PhotoPro might but then looked at how badly they messed up Photoshop's tool palette icons. Hardly visible. The Finder also look very unattractive with some of those themes listed above.
I couldnt've said it better myself. I hope whatever your conjuring up will be the black theme to end all black themes.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 25, 2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX View Post
I couldnt've said it better myself. I hope whatever your conjuring up will be the black theme to end all black themes.
I don't get what's up with the theme makers. They know Macs are about simplicity and then they go overboard with their themes. I'm going to take a lot of cues from Adobe Lightroom's fullscreen interface. It's simple, dark and effective. Very much like the iPhone's interface. Maybe Apple is going there anyway. Glossy, reflective black has appeared in Vista too.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Mar 25, 2007, 05:12 PM

I don't get what's up with the theme makers. They know Macs are about simplicity and then they go overboard with their themes. I'm going to take a lot of cues from Adobe Lightroom's fullscreen interface. It's simple, dark and effective. Very much like the iPhone's interface. Maybe Apple is going there anyway. Glossy, reflective black has appeared in Vista too.
Agreed. I mean, something, just a simple, glossy black would be perfect. Absolutely perfect. I think I know what you're going for when you say the Lightroom interface, but dont go to dark gray rather than black. I look forward to whatever you have to offer. I wish I knew what I was doing, or else I would've created something.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Makki or Gerrit had a few unreleased themes tucked away somewhere that we're looking for.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 26, 2007, 04:15 AM

You might want to look at the new version of Uno. It's free and unifies OS X's interface. It's not black, but it is very very slick, and free. It doesn't need Duality or ShapeShifter.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2007, 09:55 AM

Good luck with your new theme development. The photoshop "bug" with dark themes is seemily impossible to conquer - I hope you are able to make it work. Perhaps you are right, simplicity may be the solution. FYI - PhotoShop has hard coded data and resources and the themes are unable to completely replace that coding, as far as I have seen.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2007, 10:07 AM

i really love photopro, and crystal clear.
all the black themes have some usability issues, but...

currently trying cold; like it.
can use it with photoshop, logic, etc.
not perfect (some issues in dreamweaver), but pretty close.

am not going back to aqua (well, until leopard, and then only until shapeshifter is 10.5-ready...)

black rocks!

doccus
Apr 7, 2007, 12:44 AM

DSX is rock solid, looks great, and has a perfecly matching appearance theme for classic out there...
and you can still sort of see the tools in photoshop too

Sandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by doccus View Post
DSX is rock solid, looks great, and has a perfecly matching appearance theme for classic out there...
and you can still sort of see the tools in photoshop too
And there's the cat's gak. I understand why themers create dark themes and dark menus...they're different. I think they're sexy.

But...although they look great in the Finder, they often cause problems in apps. My favourite theme right now is GraphiteAGV. The blue/grey GUI is different enough, while still looking Mac-like, that it really appeals to me.

My second favourite is NiCe mini. It would be my favourite and I'd use it day in, day out, until someone could develope an even better looking GUI, except it has dark blue menus. Dark menus and Adobe apps just don't work together and I spend too much time in Adobe apps to ignore them. ...Which means NiCe has become a distant 2nd favourite. Simply because of the dark menus.

Maybe it's time I played with ThemePark again and tried to cobble something together for myself.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2007, 10:16 PM

Glassworks is not pure black but a very workable dark theme. I've used it for months now and it's going just fine.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Sandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Glassworks is not pure black but a very workable dark theme. I've used it for months now and it's going just fine.
I wouldn't mind looking at it Randman. Any idea where it can be had? I've taken a quick look around my usual haunts and haven't been able to locate it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2007, 11:43 PM

is what it looks like. Let me see if I can find the link to it, been awhile.

Sandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2007, 02:46 AM

Thanks Randman. I did find a copy of it (1.0) at Tucows, but couldn't find anything newer that would work with Tiger.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 13, 2007, 05:13 AM

I'm having no luck using or making dark themes. There are apps like Maya that use bitmaps for tool icons that were made with grey backgrounds in mind. Any darker than the default grey and those icons show up ugly due to poor alpha channels.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2007, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Thanks Randman. I did find a copy of it (1.0) at Tucows, but couldn't find anything newer that would work with Tiger.
That's quite odd because my version works on Tiger (have latest build) and I'm running it on a Mac Book Pro.

Sandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2007, 12:43 PM

I'm having no luck using or making dark themes. There are apps like Maya that use bitmaps for tool icons that were made with grey backgrounds in mind. Any darker than the default grey and those icons show up ugly due to poor alpha channels.
I know where you're coming from. I think dark themes are sexy in the Finder, but just don't play well with many other apps. There are some gorgeous light themes, but the trend now is to use black menus and many apps simply will not create their menu text in anything other than black. I really wish theme designers that create themes that use black menus would also include a light version. That said, beggars can't be choosers, and I'm thankful so many designers are willing to share their creations with the public. I created several private mods back in the Kaleidescope days, so I know how much time is involved in themeing.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2007, 12:10 AM

this one plays well with photoshop

Sandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2007, 02:16 AM

I don't recognize it, but you're right it does look like it plays well with PS. Is that one of Gerrit's themes?

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2007, 12:50 PM

Is that one of Gerrit's themes?
no. its v23, it might be released someday soon.

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by roosta View Post
this one plays well with photoshop
I like the look of this theme sans the system icons in the top right, and the placement of the X - O buttons of the screens.

doccus
Apr 14, 2007, 07:27 PM

I've found that most apps will follow the coding in the #clr resource if it's set right..it is in the extras.rsrc as #clr id 384..almost all my theme hacks are black or very dark, and all the required fonts show up white if it's set that way..i'll post some shots when i get them hosted and you can see what I mean..
Incidentally, I was wrong about DSX..photoshop's tools show perfectly..not partially as I earlier said...

Sandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 12:16 AM

Do you happen to know where a copy of DSX can be had doccus? Couldn't find a copy at InterfaceLIFT or at MacThemes.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Originally Posted by Sandy
Originally Posted by Randman
That's quite odd because my version works on Tiger (have latest build) and I'm running it on a Mac Book Pro.
The only theme called "Glassworks" I could find on the internet is a Classic appearance theme (scheme?), a link to the OS X theme you're using would be really appreciated, Randman.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 07:38 AM

Do you happen to know where a copy of DSX can be had doccus? Couldn't find a copy at InterfaceLIFT or at MacThemes.
http://izappy.info/archives/themes/i...mes/index.html

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2007, 07:44 AM

It's GlasWorks R1
by scops ([email protected])

Sorry, can't find a working link atm so it may have been renamed. I've used it for a very long time now and it works fine with Tiger and on Mactels.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 07:56 AM

Sandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 03:04 PM

digitaljames! A veritable fountain of knowledge. Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules