Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > macthemes.net - is it ever coming back?

macthemes.net - is it ever coming back?
mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2007, 07:52 PM

I know the state of the macintosh themes is a little light, but it seems that whenever I pop over to macthemes.net it has a coming soon splash screen. Heck, I cannot remember the last time it even had themes.

Anyone have any ideas if its DOA, or it will come back?
Michael

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2007, 07:59 PM

The front page is just that....the themes are in the forums.....

MacThemes Forums :: Index

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2007, 09:18 PM

I know, but they used to host themes and the front page promising a new macthemes has been up for what seems like forever.
Michael

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2007, 09:57 PM

MT has never hosted themes and v2.0 is imminent (imminent being relative)..... 

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 07:49 AM

Yeah they did, that was the whole reason for creating macthemes.

I vividly recall downloading all sorts of themes from macthemes.
Michael

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2007, 09:34 AM

interesting, i just went there and found this message

You have been banned from this forum.
Please contact the webmaster or board administrator for more information.

i must have hurt someone's feelings.
i wonder why i never got an email explaining why?

on the other hand i did get to the themes page and using my secret html decoder ring found that macthemes merely linked to sites hosting themes.

to be brutally honest about the site, its not what it started out to be. all the screenshots seem to be variations of aqua - though once in a while someone posts something different - or back and forth bickering about stupid things and the 'moderators' all seem to be trying to outdo each other by seeing who can the rudest to posters they don't agree with.
they don't even let you quote images anymore - and you get a nasty warning in red type if you. though i noticed that some posters can quote images without repercussions.
the releases forum is full of icons and wallpapers, as is the critique forum oddly enough.

Rampant1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by roosta View Post
interesting, i just went there and found this message

You have been banned from this forum.
Please contact the webmaster or board administrator for more information.

i must have hurt someone's feelings.
i wonder why i never got an email explaining why?
Now you've gone and made me jealous :^) No note for me, posts and login credentials just seemed to vanish for no apparent reason.

JEsTer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2007, 02:56 PM

I signed up for those forums 2-3 days ago and it said I had to wait for admin authorization. I'm still waiting for that and it looks as if it may not happen any time soon. There is a sticky post somewhere on there from around December '06 saying that they aren't authorizing signups until macthemes 2.0 is done which is "right around the corner". Considering its been 4 months since then I guess I won't be able to post anything there any time soon.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 06:02 PM

sniffle...poor Roosta, if you can't abide by the sites rules then don't complain about the moderation. Images aren't to be quoted in the screenshots thread...the *other* threads you speak about don't apply. Exactly which mods are rude? I have no idea why you and Rampant1 are getting banned messages on log-in. I think I'd know if you were banned. Perhaps it's database related since we are moving to a new forum engine. I'll ask an admin....

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Apr 24, 2007, 07:10 PM

I am a member at MTF and the mods there are all pretty nice.

Quoting images is annoying unless you are using one picture to make a specific point.

I do agree that MT needs to pull it together and get 2.0 rolling. The GUI community is nowhere near what it used to be.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by digitaljames View Post
sniffle...poor Roosta,
this isn't even worth a reply.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 08:55 PM

Howdy guys!

@ Roosta, shoot me a PM or Email with your IP, I have no idea why your account was banned, it must have been a mistake.. or maybe I missed something.

@ jester emial me the account you signed up with (or PM) and i'll activate it. We don't bother activating accounts anymore since we get over 100 spammers registering per day, so it would be too time consuming to sift through all of them and find out which are legit. Any other issues don't hesitate to ask me.

As for our moderators and methods of moderation:
I stand behind every one of their actions. I honestly feel that our moderation staff is some of the best I have seem at any forum. And they are not only good at it but do everything by the books.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2007, 11:10 PM

this isn't even worth a reply.
I agree. Behaviour like that drives people away. Rules are all well and good but too many rules or moderators picking on people because they had a bad day is the perfect way to kill a site by killing the community spirit.

People are not going to waste their time on sites that treat some of their contributors like crap. This applies to anyone who is a moderator on "any" site. Having all that power will seem pretty hollow if nobody visits your site anymore.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

glypht
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2007, 07:53 AM

to be brutally honest about the site, its not what it started out to be. all the screenshots seem to be variations of aqua - though once in a while someone posts something different - or back and forth bickering about stupid things and the 'moderators' all seem to be trying to outdo each other by seeing who can the rudest to posters they don't agree with.
they don't even let you quote images anymore - and you get a nasty warning in red type if you. though i noticed that some posters can quote images without repercussions.
the releases forum is full of icons and wallpapers, as is the critique forum oddly enough.
This is exactly why I finished with MT over a year ago, it was like being back at school! I scan the forums every once in a while to see if things have improved but sadly it seems to be getting worse. It's a shame because the site had a lot of potential but now it's just a Boys Club…

glypht
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by digitaljames View Post
sniffle...poor Roosta, if you can't abide by the sites rules then don't complain about the moderation.
Thank you for helping make my point with your snarky tone and first class paradox.

What started out as a promising community is now an undebatable oligarchy, which to me defeats the purpose of a forum. At least here you have to be a genuine jerk to get a post edited/removed rather than just having a different opinion to that of whichever one of a growing army of moderators happens to be looking for an excuse to exert their authority (11 locked threads currently on GUI discussion page).
( Last edited by glypht; Apr 27, 2007 at 10:58 AM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2007, 08:44 AM

There is a post in their forum about one of the delays in getting to 2.0. They said they couldn't find the password to the 1.0 database. They posted a poll asking if people would prefer to move to 2.0 on a clean database soon, or wait a while until they can migrate the 1.0 database across.
I think the last entry into that post was last week sometime with someone saying they found the password.

I assume that they're all working on it, but it's just taking longer than they expected.
I do remember reading a post (which I can't find) saying that they wanted to release it on April 1st but something went wrong. Apparently, something big must've gone wrong since that was 3 weeks ago.
( Last edited by mdc; Apr 28, 2007 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Resexcellence and MacThemes are not under the same ownership.)

glypht
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2007, 09:24 AM

By the time MT/ResExcellence come back online we'll be very close to, or already, using Leopard, so we will then be waiting for a ShapeShifter update (assuming one's even possible with Leopard's new interface structure)…

Here's hoping (once again) for some kind of theming capabilities integrated into the OS…

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Apr 27, 2007, 12:55 PM

A certain irony from the first post on the new ResEx page:

Unfortunately, over the past few years, those visits became less and less frequent, and eventually came to a stop. It was only a few months ago, when I checked out Resexcellence again for the first time in months, that I realized how close to dying it was. The site was in damage control mode, thanks in part to lack of activity, a sore need for an overhaul, and gross mismanagement by its most recent owner. This got me boiling to the point of writing a scathing entry on my blog about what’s been going on.
Lack of updates? Hmmmn.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2007, 01:07 PM

I wonder if the irony has gone any further with someone "writing a scathing entry on [their] blog about what's been going on" about the new resexcellence.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 03:01 PM

This is the umpteenth time i have heard someone associate macthemes with resecellence. IN NO WAY ARE WE ASSOCIATED WITH THE NEW OWNERSHIP OF RESEXCELLENCE. there.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2007, 08:36 PM

My mistake. sorry.

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Komisar View Post
This is the umpteenth time i have heard someone associate macthemes with resecellence. IN NO WAY ARE WE ASSOCIATED WITH THE NEW OWNERSHIP OF RESEXCELLENCE. there.
philryu who started macthemes didn't buy resexcellence?
Michael

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2007, 09:05 AM

Unsanity and Phillip Ryu purchased Resexcellence (according to the site). Phil has turned over the site control of MacThemes to another group but retains ownership of the domain I believe. MacThemes has nothing to do with Resexcellence as previously stated. Phil, being an entrepreneur, has many interests but is not an amalgamate.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2007, 02:44 PM

mmmmm. I'm hungry. Anyone else hungry? I could go for a fried cod sandwich. mmmm with fries/tartar sauce/etc.

Shall we all go to Macthemes for a bite? I call shotgun!

Strange why is our favorite neighborhood restaurant, Macthemes, boarded up? I am in need of a fish sandwich! Looks like we'll have to go to the other place. You know, the one where we can never get a table. Where we have to sit at the bar and talk loudly over the other topics of discussion...

glypht
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2007, 06:58 AM

...but at least the waiters are polite and the chefs don't throw hissy fits if you don't enjoy your sandwich.

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2007, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by glypht View Post
...but at least the waiters are polite and the chefs don't throw hissy fits if you don't enjoy your sandwich.
Are you saying you don't like getting your threads locked or posts edited/deleted by MacThemes moderators if they decide they don't like your comments? Why is that? It is their kingdom and you are but one of the unwashed masses they have deemed worthy of gracing their presence.

Sandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2007, 04:19 PM

So...posts at MacThemes have all but dried up while the index page is being demolished and reconstructed. (Just about got run over by a bulldozer while I was there.) So where is everyone from there posting in the meantime? The slack doesn't seem to have been taken up here...

D0g Cow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
So where is everyone from there posting in the meantime? The slack doesn't seem to have been taken up here...
I've been at Mac GUI for the time being

gnomexp
Forum Regular
May 1, 2007, 03:03 AM

We'll be back up soon. Lets just say that we're, for the most part, done. Done enough to kill ad revenue while we open back up.

Kevin
Baninated
May 1, 2007, 09:43 AM

I've always thought of THIS forum as THE THEME forum. Why? It's were things started as far as OS X themes go. I guess I am nostalgic.

Most of the people that took part in that first initial OS X themeing (Before the Public Beta was out) aren't even around anymore. Me and a one other person I think still hangs out here.

Most quit themeing after the 2nd rush of themers came in and basically took ideas or designs already out and put "their versions" out.

Not everyone did this, but it did happen.

If people were a bit more respectful of other people's work, and were a bit more appreciative there would be more themes.

It's just not worth spending all that time just to have someone rip you off, or someone constantly complain.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2007, 11:09 AM

When MT forums were still up, I'd stop by every day, just to check certain forums/threads. I learned my lesson on posting questions, when I'm in 10.3.9. When ever I did, I'd get flamed, getting told to "update". I prefer 10.3.9 over 10.4.x, so why should I "update"? It's not their problem. Very few users on there, were ever actually kind to me. That's why I just lurk, instead of posting as much anymore.

Kevin
Baninated
May 1, 2007, 11:13 AM

It's easier to control what is being said over there.

That is why I prefer it over here.

There was certain people that if you made ANY criticism at all about, their fanboys would attack you. Regardless if it was valid or not.

I am sure it's worse over there.

glypht
Forum Regular
May 1, 2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I've always thought of THIS forum as THE THEME forum.
Likewise.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
May 1, 2007, 05:30 PM

I like MTF, and I think it is much more active in terms of posting new releases and variations than here. As of late MTF slowed down a lot, and I lost a lot of interest in the same old boring Aqua variations of themes and icons. The combination of Aqua Blend + Cats Icons being the weakest attempt at a release EVER imo...
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2007, 06:23 PM

Likewise.
i agree.

glypht
Forum Regular
May 3, 2007, 02:03 AM

Wow, Macthemes 2.0 is up! They changed the stylesheet!

Screw MacNN, think of the stylesheet! The stylesheet!!! Two. Point. Oh!

Ahem.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2007, 02:39 AM

it doesn't seem to offer much and honestly isn't all that attractive.

love to see what changes have been made to the forums, but i'm somehow banned. i wonder why...

still, macnn is the first place i look when i want to see whats going on.

glypht
Forum Regular
May 3, 2007, 05:21 AM

…i'm somehow banned. i wonder why…
Oh no, where will you get your aqua mods and abusive moderation now?

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2007, 08:59 AM

I love the new theme, personally. And as long as that Nuclear Potato dude keeps posting awesome icons there, I'll be a regular visitor.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 3, 2007, 11:02 AM

MacThemes 2 is live now

MacThemes 2.0 - A New Chapter

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2007, 11:18 AM

Oh no, where will you get your aqua mods and abusive moderation now?
hopefully not here.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2007, 01:52 PM

I'm not crazy about the fact that they have to use macthemes2.net.
It seems that Phill Ryu gave MacThemes over to the new people. I think they should've had the current splash page say something along the lines of "Welcome to the next chapter. MacThemes has now become [insert name of new site/domain here]". They could've gone into more detail in a blog post about how Phill has no time for MacThemes (or whatever the reasoning was) and they have migrated the forum and old news over, and welcome to [insert name of new site/domain here].

In my opinion, that would've been a nicer solution to the current macthemes2.net. Honestly, I find the current domain name awful.

D0g Cow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2007, 05:09 PM

Well, all I can say to that is I'm glad I thought of macgui.com and bought it before anyone else did.

I mean c'mon, how obvious is a name like Mac GUI? You can do anything with it. Anything.

And I've got macgui.net too, so don't get your hopes up.
( Last edited by D0g Cow; May 3, 2007 at 05:10 PM. Reason: I still haven't unlocked my copy of iTypo)

SpaceCat85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I'm not crazy about the fact that they have to use macthemes2.net.

In my opinion, that would've been a nicer solution to the current macthemes2.net. Honestly, I find the current domain name awful.
I have a folder of bookmarks I usually use load this site + most of the MacThemes forums, and now I have to go back in & update everything in Firefox and del.icio.us because of the domain name change & lack of redirection to the corresponding forum at macthemes2.net

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2007, 07:20 PM

have the forums changed in any way? seems i can't login from home, but i can from work. maybe i'll wait until monday or [email protected] replies to my inquiry (from two days ago) about why i get this lovely image:

digitaljames
Mac Elite
May 4, 2007, 09:17 PM

I suspect your banning is due to an IP Block of someone else and you have just fallen into that range of IP....if you don't want to wait on Dave, (he's busy)...PM me your IP and I'll have an admin look into it. During the site change over I had temporary Admin rights and you were not in the banned account list.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2007, 01:28 AM

So, its a new Stylesheet… is the main reason you had to re-launch is to get rid of all traces of the theme contest that produced almost nothing?

-Owl

gnomexp
Forum Regular
May 5, 2007, 04:28 AM

Sorry to be blunt. We at MacThemes are a niche forum dedicating to the customization of Mac to an apparent, community dictated aesthetic. Themers involved at MacThemes typically produce more through, quality releases, releases that are stringently observed by a broad userbase. Unfortunately for some, if the release falls outside of the apparent "norm" for themes set by our members, criticism is usually rather harsh.

MacThemes is a great place to catch the latest icons, wallpapers, and themes in addition to actively critiquing works in progress. MacThemes, sadly, is a hard place to break into as an artist. Only through consistent, well-crafted releases does one become readily accepted as an artist in our community. We do try to weed out those who hinder this process.

Please note that, as a new moderator there, I don't exactly have what could be called an unbiased opinion, but I try not to step on others' toes. We, like any other forum, have moderators who like to crack skulls, but at least ours are somewhat restrained through a diverse set of administrators members can talk to.

A few notes about the update:

The switch to new software was critical for two reasons: administration-related purposes and spam. Our previous board had several broken moderator tools, things that didn't work entirely or correctly on site. For example, moderators were unable to view reported posts except by email. Glitches were popping up left and right. The code being as dated and tweaked as it was simply needed an overhaul, either in the form of a fresh start on a flawed system, or in all new software. Spam was the other major consideration. Flaws in our previous software allowed spambots to register with little hinderance. We needed a new engine to stem the flow while allowing open registrations to new members, lest we stagnate our community further. MacThemes simply needed the upgrade, and we tried to make it match as much as possible with the rest of our redesign, one which has been worked on by select members for months.

If you want your opinions heard about our redesign, go ahead and pop on over. We have a dedicated subforum for feedback. While I might read MacNN from time to time, many of our administrators do not.
( Last edited by gnomexp; May 5, 2007 at 04:36 AM. )

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 07:25 PM

Well it appears macthemes is up and all I can say is that I'm severely underwhelmed. They were down for how many months for just a basic face lift.

I mean its nice and all but I was expecting more since they spent so much time working on it.
Michael

gnomexp
Forum Regular
May 23, 2007, 06:07 PM

Um.... we were down for 2 weeks or less. We've been up since the beginning of May. Just look at the dates on the posts in this thread for independent verification.

Oh, our admin tools work so we can actually moderate our own forum. We don't have spambots anymore (yet). Our front page actually can be accessed by authors as well (one of the reasons we never posted anything; we were locked out).

I can understand if it was a little underwhelming, but there's a lot of work present behind the scenes.

Enjoy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules