Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Shapeshifter Icon Sets

Shapeshifter Icon Sets
Boystuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2007, 01:09 AM

anyone know a good place to find icons, and implement them into shapshifter 2.4? i've downloaded a few off of interfacelift however shapeshifter wanted me to add each icon individually. maybe theres a easier way?

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 01:39 AM

SS reads iContainers. Just use those.

Visualize
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2007, 11:02 AM

Shapeshifter reads CandyBar iContainers - not Pixadex iContainers. They both carry the same name but have different colored boxes. Use the red ones.

Boystuff  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 09:28 PM

do either of you have any recommended sites? i've done a few searches but never found any decent icon sets.

SpaceCat85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 10:38 PM

A couple of my favorite icon sites for system replacements are:
InterfaceLIFT
Iconfactory : Freeware

I'd recommend getting CandyBar so that you can make your own sets. Besides, many icon downloads these days are either OS X icons or Pixadex icontainers, so if you're looking for CandyBar-only sets you'll miss out on quite a few icon sets

PhillOS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2007, 12:37 PM

Might be a dumb question, but i cant really figure out how to apply the new icon sets i download..

Either im not downloading sets, thus i get lots of png's resembling the icons. Or im simply just too stupid to import them into shapeshifter..

any help will be greatly appreciated

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 05:20 PM

sounds like you're dowloading png files designed for Windows.....go get some icontainers for Macintosh...

SpaceCat85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by PhillOS View Post
Might be a dumb question, but i cant really figure out how to apply the new icon sets i download..

Either im not downloading sets, thus i get lots of png's resembling the icons. Or im simply just too stupid to import them into shapeshifter..

any help will be greatly appreciated
If the icons aren't available in a more Mac-friendly format, you can convert the PNGs to icns files using Icon Composer (it's on the Developer Tools disc that comes with OS X/a new Mac). Then, there's a nifty little freeware app called Icns2Rsrc that will convert them into icons you can cut and paste.

You'll then need either CandyBar or Pixadex to put these icons in an iContainer that can be applied via ShapeShifter, though.

Someone really needs to make an uber icon conversion utility

Forum Links
Forum Rules