Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How to read PDFs on the iPad?

How to read PDFs on the iPad?
starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2010, 03:29 AM

So, I thought Pages was going to take care of this. Nope, export to PDF only. There are some apps out there that are pay apps and claim to do it, but I don't want to drop money on an app that might not work.

So how can we do this?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2010, 04:46 AM

GoodReader is probably worth a dollar. I've only heard positive things so far, and from a bunch of people who got the iPad to use as a PDF reader.

I understand the iPhone version is popular, so you have that as a point of reference as well.

I'll probably get it, and I'll report back.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2010, 05:10 AM

Definitely worth a buck.

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2010, 05:39 AM

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2010, 09:29 AM

I tried the built in reader with a 25 mb file out of drobox and it was brutally slow.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

Cold Warrior
Apr 4, 2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
I tried the built in reader with a 25 mb file out of drobox and it was brutally slow.
You could try marking it as a dropbox favorite, then it should save it locally to the iPad dropbox app. Might improve the reading experience.

However, if dropbox doesn't have an iPad app yet, then the x2 may also make reading unpleasant.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2010, 01:09 PM

GoodReader is awesome. It can directly access Dropbox, too.

-t

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
GoodReader is awesome. It can directly access Dropbox, too.

-t
And MobileMe, and GoogleDocs, and other servers. It really is the best choice for viewing PDFs, office docs, etc.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2010, 06:13 PM

Air Sharing is very good.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2010, 06:34 PM

What makes Air Sharing ($10) better than GoodReader ($1)?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2010, 08:07 PM

That's a good question. I haven't tried Good Reader, but it looks nice. Air Sharing for me was a great solution to carrying files on the iPhone. It turns the phone into a drive of sorts, where I can read, write, rename, and email them any time from local storage, so I don't have to download large files from Dropbox. I some of these features, like email are paid add-ons in Good Reader.

For $.99 though, I might try Good Reader too.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2010, 08:30 PM

Uhm, Air Sharing does not have a good PDF / doc viewer.

I don't have much use fornit anymore. Between GoodReader and Searchlight! all my, viewing and access needs are met.

-t

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2010, 08:55 PM

I've been happy with Air Sharing's pdf reader, even for really large files. But it doesn't have a pdf search function. I'm anxious to try Good Reader for that reason.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
You could try marking it as a dropbox favorite, then it should save it locally to the iPad dropbox app. Might improve the reading experience.

However, if dropbox doesn't have an iPad app yet, then the x2 may also make reading unpleasant.
I am going to try this.
The file will open, but if you zoom or go through the pages, it just locks the app up.
This is kind of sad for me since it is just a PDF.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2010, 09:42 PM

GoodReader all the way.

Worth way more than $1.

Will download AND upload to iDisk, Google Docs, Dropbox and other cloud servers. Will download email attachments from POP and IMAP, has a file manager to rename, copy, delete, make folders, etc., supports iTunes File Sharing like Apple's Pages/Keynote/Numbers, can transfer files back and forth via WiFi, and has a really nice PDF reader. Will also edit text files.

By far my favorite iPad app so far. I'd have paid $10.00 for it, but it's a steal at 99 cents.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2010, 01:19 AM

Thank you for whomever suggested good reader. I was very skeptical, but it is well worth the dollar like no other app. It is actually worth a lot more. I am not normally one to endorse many apps, but this was is worth it's weight in gold.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
this was is worth it's weight in gold.

-t

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2010, 11:20 AM

If you’re in the sciences (or maybe academia in general), I’d recommend Papers since it keeps track of metadata like journal, author, and keyword. It also syncs with the Mac version, which is a mostly wonderful way of finding, downloading, and organizing scientific papers (though apparently there are some issues with syncing on the current iPad version).

When I get my 3G iPad, I plan on using Papers for papers and trying out GoodReader for other PDFs. Although, really, I’d prefer a reader app that handles both PDF and ePub, since I imagine any non–journal-pub PDFs I’ll have on my iPad will be books.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
If you’re in the sciences (or maybe academia in general), I’d recommend Papers since it keeps track of metadata like journal, author, and keyword. It also syncs with the Mac version, which is a mostly wonderful way of finding, downloading, and organizing scientific papers (though apparently there are some issues with syncing on the current iPad version).

When I get my 3G iPad, I plan on using Papers for papers and trying out GoodReader for other PDFs. Although, really, I’d prefer a reader app that handles both PDF and ePub, since I imagine any non–journal-pub PDFs I’ll have on my iPad will be books.
I did use that on my Mac for a little bit, but I already bought it. I think that $14.99 is a lot to read pdf's vs .99 unless you need the other functions.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2010, 11:12 PM

^Well, yeah, that’s why I started that post with “If”.

When you’re collecting hundreds of PDFs and they all have a journal name, year, abstract, and authors in addition to the title; and you usually get them from PubMed or Google Scholar or one of the other databases tha Papers accesses and reads metadata from; the app is downright indispensable. So, while it’s pretty pointless for lots of people (including many with large PDF collections), I just thought I’d bring it up in case there were science types around who didn’t know about it

amangelomike
Baninated
Apr 14, 2010, 08:50 AM

There are a bunch of apps which allow you to read PDFs. The best way to load and read is to install Apache from community resources that comes with installer.app. It really works well for me. The iPad app use the e-pub format, which works on just about every reader out there except the Kindle. Even if the iPad doesnt rock PDFs or other ebook formats there are a couple of online converters that can change PDF to epub.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by amangelomike View Post
There are a bunch of apps which allow you to read PDFs. The best way to load and read is to install Apache from community resources that comes with installer.app. It really works well for me. The iPad app use the e-pub format, which works on just about every reader out there except the Kindle. Even if the iPad doesnt rock PDFs or other ebook formats there are a couple of online converters that can change PDF to epub.

Sig spam reported.

-t

mattco72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2010, 10:53 PM

I was going to bring this up but I will post it here, my situation:

1. I am looking at buying the iPad for work and I am a superintendent in construction.
2. I can get all of my plans in pdf format, but some of the files contain 50-75 pages of large resolution and range in the 75 mb range. This is a large pdf that I need to be able to thumb through to find a detail on a set of plans.
3. Can the iPad handle this type of file in this size?
4. I can build all my spreadsheets in numbers, no issue but I need to be able to print them. I have never used printshare and I have had some people say that it is good. How well does printshare work?

These are the two biggest factors in my buying an iPad, if it can't handle it then I will wait it out and see how the google tablet is. I want something I don't have to boot up and shut back down everytime I want to pull a detail, so the phone os setup is better for me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by mattco72 View Post
2. I can get all of my plans in pdf format, but some of the files contain 50-75 pages of large resolution and range in the 75 mb range. This is a large pdf that I need to be able to thumb through to find a detail on a set of plans.
I'd be happy to try if you make a file available for download.

So far, GoodReader is very snappy. But I haven't tried a file close to that size.

-t

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2010, 09:14 PM

I constantly read a 1400 page technical manual that is 25mb, full of drawings and schematics. It takes Goodreader about 15 sec to search the entire manual. It handles it very well, much easier to read and search then the actual paper copy.
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

wilsonng
Senior User
Apr 15, 2010, 11:52 PM

GoodReader doesn't choke on larger PDF files because it reads the PDF one page at a time. Most PDF readers will try to bring the whole PDF into the iPhone's RAM (or whatever it is) and it will choke.

I originally bought Air Sharing but switched over to GoodReader to handle my larger PDFs.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2010, 01:03 AM

I will again csign for good reader. As a user it has 2 big functions to me. First it reads really large PDFs with ease. Second it accesses web storage sin s splitq second. At the moment, you will not find a better app for what you want to do. Also for .99 it is a steal

jackhan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2010, 12:59 AM

GoodRead , it is really good for reading PDF and Microsoft Words docx files
MacBook Pro 17' + iPod + iPad + iMac + MacPro

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2010, 02:13 PM

Another vote for GoodReader. Worth $10 despite its $0.99 price tag.

Can download and upload from MobileMe, Google Docs, Drop Box, email attachments, WebDav servers, others.

Forum Links
Forum Rules