Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" and 17" Screen Protectors Not needed?

12" and 17" Screen Protectors Not needed?
jsiburt
Jan 27, 2003, 10:23 AM

This was a readers comment on the announcement of the 12" and 17" Screen Protectors available from JR Hill.

<quote>
You actually don't(need this product). I work at an Apple Store, and one of the first things we did when we got the 12" in was take a look at this. The monitor actually has some feet that assures that the keyboard doesn't touch the screen. It gives you -a lot- of clearance, maybe 2mm or so. But you definitely do NOT need these products.
</quote>

Can anyone with a 12" or who has seen the 17". verify this information?

lawgeek
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by jsiburt:
This was a readers comment on the announcement of the 12" and 17" Screen Protectors available from JR Hill.

<quote>
You actually don't(need this product). I work at an Apple Store, and one of the first things we did when we got the 12" in was take a look at this. The monitor actually has some feet that assures that the keyboard doesn't touch the screen. It gives you -a lot- of clearance, maybe 2mm or so. But you definitely do NOT need these products.
</quote>

Can anyone with a 12" or who has seen the 17". verify this information?
I can verify. The screen is set back from its border it seems like by .5-1 mm. That along with the feet on top of the screen border means the keyboard will not touch the lcd itself.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2003, 02:51 PM

The problem with the keys touching the screen is not so much that there isn't any room between the keys and screen, but that the case flexes enough that the keys end up touching the screen when you carry the computer in a case. This was true both for the Powerbook G3 and the G4.

I'm not saying that it is going to be a problem, just that you can't really tell just buy looking at measurements.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
The problem with the keys touching the screen is not so much that there isn't any room between the keys and screen, but that the case flexes enough that the keys end up touching the screen when you carry the computer in a case. This was true both for the Powerbook G3 and the G4.

I'm not saying that it is going to be a problem, just that you can't really tell just buy looking at measurements.
True.

However, since the tiBook keyboard is more flexible (due to Airport and memory access beneath), it is quite possible that the keyboard flexing through jostling of the machine may contribute to the problem.

The 12" keyboards being as firm as reported universally, we may actually be relieved from this worry.

I'm really looking forwar to trying the keyboard, btw. - This will be my first laptop since my Duo 270 (once i can afford it), and a good keyboard is rare on laptops. If it's better than the iBooks', then w00+.

-s*

ima_pseudonym
Jan 27, 2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
True.

However, since the tiBook keyboard is more flexible (due to Airport and memory access beneath), it is quite possible that the keyboard flexing through jostling of the machine may contribute to the problem.

The 12" keyboards being as firm as reported universally, we may actually be relieved from this worry.

I'm really looking forwar to trying the keyboard, btw. - This will be my first laptop since my Duo 270 (once i can afford it), and a good keyboard is rare on laptops. If it's better than the iBooks', then w00+.
-s*
I doubt it is keyboard flexing that causes it, but the ti screen itself may also be more flexible than the al screen.

Anybody want to risk destruction of their new machine and dust the keys with flour, close the screen, and carry it around and see if any rubs off I'm sure any damage qould be covered by applecare since you are really just doing apple a favor.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2003, 10:40 PM

Apple would laugh at you for doing something like this. I'm sure they know how their machine works.

That said, flour shouldn't break anything.

douthat
Jan 27, 2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
That said, flour shouldn't break anything.
Ha! I think I'll just buy a $12 screen protector before I put flour on my keyboard

NathanA
Jan 27, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by douthat:
Ha! I think I'll just buy a $12 screen protector before I put flour on my keyboard
$12!!!

I find a piece of plain printer paper works fine to protect my TiBook screen.

The only problem being that I misplace the paper all the time, but since it doesn't cost me $12... it's not that big of a deal

-Nathan

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2003, 11:36 PM

I think I might actually be getting a 12-inch PowerBook for school...

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by lawgeek:
I can verify. The screen is set back from its border it seems like by .5-1 mm.
As far as I can tell, the 12-inch PowerBook's screen and bezel are very similar to the iBook's. As lawgeek pointed out, the LCD is set back .5 or so mm from the bezel, just like on the iBook. In addition, the bezel on the 12-inch and the iBook is wider, so that it's actually the bezel, not the LCD that contacts the key caps.

Case in point: on my iBook, I get the marks from keyboard grime on the bezel instead of on the LCD. Sure beats finger grime on the LCD.

The problem with the keys touching the screen is not so much that there isn't any room between the keys and screen, but that the case flexes enough that the keys end up touching the screen when you carry the computer in a case.
I agree that screen flex is an issue on top of the spacing without any compression, Icruise. But judging from the lack of LCD-keyboard contact on the iBook described above, I'm not worried about the 12-inch PowerBook at all.

As for the 17-inch PowerBook, I'm less confident that it won't experience the same problems as the TiBook. After all it will have the same 1-inch-thin design and narrow bezel.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2003, 04:58 PM

I guess the question is whether or not the aluminum will flex more than the plastic in the ibooks (which is pretty rigid).

I don't really think that screen protectors are a necessity with any of the portables. I had the marks on my Lombard and Pismo, but I was able to remove them with LCD screen cleaning cloths.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 05:46 PM

I guess the question is whether or not the aluminum will flex more than the plastic in the ibooks (which is pretty rigid).

I don't really think that screen protectors are a necessity with any of the portables. I had the marks on my Lombard and Pismo, but I was able to remove them with LCD screen cleaning cloths.
Wrong. My 1st Ti500 has permanent marks. The rubbing of the oil emitted from hands onto the keys turns to a crust that over time and rubbing onto the screen will etch the matte outer layer. I've used a Swiffer dust sheet for both my Ti800 and TiGhz. They fit perfectly over the keboard and are great to use for a quick dust-off as well. I have also heard that the fibers from paper could be bad.

My guess is that the new AluBooks will have the same problem once the book gets put into a bag and some pressure pushes the screen and keys together. I hope it's fixed though.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by craigthomas:
Wrong. My 1st Ti500 has permanent marks. The rubbing of the oil emitted from hands onto the keys turns to a crust that over time and rubbing onto the screen will etch the matte outer layer.
All I can speak from is experience, and I never had any marks that couldn't be removed. I cleaned my screen and keyboard fairly regularly with the cloths I mentioned.

Seems like a better option than waiting until it "turns to a crust". But that's just me...

Forum Links
Forum Rules