Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Post as soon as you see one in an Apple store.

Post as soon as you see one in an Apple store. (Page 2)
storer
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I just think it is bulky and boring.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

flukewurm
Oct 5, 2004, 08:20 PM

just saw the 20" loaded w/ 768 at the mac authority store in nashville. forkin beautiful. quite impressive.

went with my gf. interesting to have an outsiders POV. at first she said the new one looked 'bulkier' (there was a g4 'lamp' imac sitting right beside for comparison) -- then i introduced her to the word footprint.. once she understood the practicality of the concept and i answered her question of 'where is the computer?' she seemed genuinly impressed.

i tell you what. if i didnt have such a need for power (i make computer music - lots of softsynths, softsamplers, effects, etc) then the 20" imac would be sitting on my desk NOW.

instead i must save by bones and wait for the time to snatch up a dual g5.

BenN
Oct 6, 2004, 06:09 AM

There`s a whole bunch of them in the Ginza store here in Tokyo. The ground floor is full of demo models (17" and 20"), while the internet cafe on the 4th floor has replaced the G4 iMacs with new 17" G5s (with 256MB RAM & iSight).

I used one of the latter for a bit; pretty snappy, but not noticeably more so than my PB G4 1.25GHz. iTunes visualizer stuttered, but I guess this was due to the 256MB of RAM installed.
PowerBook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 5400rpm 80GB HDD
PowerMac G4 Cube, 450MHz, 512MB, 7200rpm 120GB HDD, GigaDesigns Blue LED 80mm fan
AirMac Extreme network, connected to my FTTH (100Mb/s) phat pipe 8)

jfwjxn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2004, 11:08 PM

I just went to the Apple Store at 12 Oaks Mall (Novi, MI) last night and these things are beautiful, the plastic at the bottom is perfect for me as I generally have a bunch of post-its posted to the bottom of my monitor as it is! I do have one question that I know you guys can answer. I was playing around with iTunes and re-importing songs on the iMac...with AAC I was getting about 20x and then I switched to MP3 and imported a song and got 30x, tried it again later and got about 19-21x with either one. I know these are set to automatic processor, so does that anything to do with it, or not. So basically what I'm saying is: If I have it set to highest processor setting will I be able to encode at 30x off the hard drive? Thanks a bunch!
iBook 800 640/30/Combo/12"
Power Macintosh G3 300-1/256/30
WGS 6150/60 240-G3/72/500
Power Macintosh G4 QS 02 800/896/120

Forum Links
Forum Rules