Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Strange printing problem ("waiting for device")

Strange printing problem ("waiting for device")
sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2006, 02:55 PM

For some while (at least 10.4.3 and 10.4.4) I have been having an odd problem trying to print from my G4 iMac to my HP PhotoSmart 7550, directly connected via USB. When I try to print, the "PhotoSmart 7550" application opens, and sets up the job in the queue. But then it hangs, with a message "GenericClass: waiting for device". The printer is on and ready, the printer list shows it as "Printing", but no printing ensues.

Then, if I log out, the job prints perfectly normally.

It's kind of annoying to have to log out to print . I've tried deleting pref files, but perhaps I just haven't found the right one.

The printer is set up with GimpPrint 5.0.0 beta 2 as driver. I can't remember exactly when this started, but it was at least while I was running 10.4.3, and upgrading to 10.4.4 didn't change anything.

Any tips would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance,
-- Steve Anderson

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jan 17, 2006, 11:34 PM

Maybe deleting the printer and adding it again solves the problem. Yeah, I know: it seems a Windows answer, but it solved me some printing problems in the past.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2006, 03:16 PM

Maybe deleting the printer and adding it again solves the problem.
Been there, done that. No help, I'm afraid.

Does anyone know where this message ("GenericClass: waiting for device") might be coming from?

--
Steve Anderson

Gary King
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 12:08 AM

I'm having the same problem as well when I first connected my printer to my Mac.

Help?
MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz Core Duo

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2006, 06:33 AM

Try Printer Setup Repair and see if it helps.

As it is a HP, does it use the dread HP Communications process at all? If so, that could be the source of the problem too (e.g. it prevents you from using a HP AIO in different user accounts until you have stopped it and re-launched it). Use Activity Monitor to find out.

Lastly, could it simply be a problem with Gutenprint 5 (it is no longer called GimpPrint, btw) still being beta?

Gary King
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2006, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by JKT
Try Printer Setup Repair and see if it helps.

As it is a HP, does it use the dread HP Communications process at all? If so, that could be the source of the problem too (e.g. it prevents you from using a HP AIO in different user accounts until you have stopped it and re-launched it). Use Activity Monitor to find out.

Lastly, could it simply be a problem with Gutenprint 5 (it is no longer called GimpPrint, btw) still being beta?
I tried Printer Setup Repair. No luck. I'm not using the HP Communications process. Also, if the problem IS Guetnprint, then what options do I have?

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2006, 07:49 AM

Have you actually tried to use the drivers from HP for the printer? (If that link doesn't work, go to the HP home page and search the Driver download page for your printer).

7ttman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2006, 03:00 PM

This problem is caused by the HP photosmart software. To print using GIMP, simply lose the HP software, but it'll stop you using the "card reader" on the printer if that model has such a thing and you use it.

Goto your Mac HD
/library/printers

Move the /library/printers/hp folder somewhere else (trash?) and hey-presto you can print.

I'm using a 7350 directly on USB and had the same problem. I fixed it by dropping the HP software in my documents folder (just in case it wasn't that) and everything works.

I was also having problems with Bonjour not working to the same printer when it was attached to an airport express. By moving the folder, that works as well.

Gary King
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2006, 06:30 PM

I don't have a PhotoSmart printer. I have an HP DeskJet 930. I think I might have fixed it, though.

mikep45678
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 09:46 AM

Thank you so much for the hint. I was having trouble printing last three weeks with my laserjet 1200 connected to my new G5, with MacOs10.4.6. Simply by getting rid of the HP-folder i could solve the problem.

bubkes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2006, 10:06 PM

I tried all the suggestion list above and still can't print on my 7350. I'm using a dual 1.8 gh G5 with a direct USB connection. I still get the "GenericClass: waiting for device". I threw away the HP folder in the printers folder etc nothing works.

i'm using the GimpPrint 5.0.0 beta 2 as a driver.

Any other suggestions?

BruceTchr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2007, 12:35 PM

Sometimes moving the HP folder, and then restarting gets the printer working. Sometimes logging out gets the printer working. However there is a problem with the print output which has been reported to HP. Business support forums - MacBook Pro, OS X 10.4.8 and problems printing to a photosmart 7350.

They have not fixed the problem and communication with them is a problem; the online chat techs do not deal with Macs. They tell you to call. If you call you get an automated message that they no longer provide phone support for Macs and you should email them. I tried that, but, guess what, their email system was down (of course this happened after I input all the information). All in all, HP's customer support has gotten worse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules