Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "Waiting for printer to become available"?

"Waiting for printer to become available"?
sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2010, 01:12 PM

Using 10.6.5 on a MacBook Pro2,1 with an HP Color LaserJet 2500tn connected by USB, driver = HP Color LaserJet 2500 v3010.107. The printer shows up as connected, but when I try to print to it I just keep being told in the print queue that it is "Waiting for printer to become available..." Restarting the printer, rebooting the machine, nothing clears this.

I seem to remember having the same problem years ago, perhaps after some new drivers were installed, but I can't recall the (fairly simple) fix. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks,

--

Steve Anderson

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2010, 02:16 PM

Support for your printer is included in 10.6. Have you followed the advice from HP Support?

Is there any queued printer work you might need to delete?

Any chance to print over Ethernet instead of USB?, it being a TN model should be network capable.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 14, 2010, 02:25 PM

Colour Laserjet 2500 should be fine. I have a 2840 - which is practically the same, it's just an all-in-one unit, working fine printing over the network.

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2010, 02:30 PM

Yes, I've done the obvious to install the printer. In fact, it was working up until the point recently when software update installed new HP drivers. I've tried deleting the printer and then re-adding it (but then it stops at the configure stage, again saying it's waiting for the printer to become available).

I know this is a glitch I and others have experienced before, but I can't remember the fix...

--

Steve Anderson

larsoncoach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2010, 03:22 PM

I'm having a similar issue, though mine didn't happen after installing new printer drivers. In fact I just tried the new drivers hoping it would help... nothing. When I try to re-add the printer I get the same "waiting for printer to become available" message. as well as when I try to print something.

I'm also on 10.6.5 - but on an imac. I have 2 other printers hooked up and they both work. One, a brother, is wireless and the other is a HP Deskjet. My HP color Laser (the one not working) is not network ready. My computer sees that the printer is there... just not connecting somehow....

Also did the self print test on the printer and that part is fine. I've restarted, unplugged, restored factory settings, etc.

I'd LOVE if there was a quick fix!
Thanks.

j9fine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2010, 06:37 PM

I am having the same issue with an HP 3700. I've re-booted, deleted then added the printer and I keep getting the "waiting for printer to become available" message. This seemed to happen all of a sudden. I was printing fine a few days ago. Aargh!

jranfrib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2011, 06:04 PM

I use a MacBook Pro 5.5 with Mac OS 10.6.5 and an HP Color LaserJet 2500. I have solved the problem with "waiting for the printer to become available" in the following way:
I go to Macinosh HD: Library : Printers and delete the HP folder. The printer then immediately starts working, spitting out the pages waiting to be printed.
After a restart, for instance, the procedure may have to be repeated.

David Fountain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2012, 11:21 AM

Wow - delete the HP folder. - This solution worked for me!
Thank you!

Forum Links
Forum Rules