Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How long to install KDE?

How long to install KDE?
Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2004, 03:26 PM

How long should it take to install KDE using fink? I started the whole process (fink install bundle-kde) almost exactly 24 hours ago. Is this normal? I know it has a hell of a lot to do and I'm on a low-end machine, but I was just wondering if a) this is normal and b) how much longer I'll need to wait

Also, I had to install tetex seperately because of a dependency issue, and that took nigh on 2 hours as well, so I suppose the running total is actual 26 hours...

Not that it's too much of a problem - I'm using my computer in the same way as I normally would, it's just a wee bit slower. I'm just impatient

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 10:22 PM

If its from source on a slow machine, ya it can take a long time.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2004, 11:03 PM

On my dual 533, it took less than 12 hours (I think). On my 500MHz iBook, I would expect it to take more than a week. If you have more than one machine, compile the packages on the fastest machine and then copy the files from the /sw/fink/debs directory.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Chris O'Brien  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 11:23 AM

Damn. I got the multi-lingual "You need to restart your computer" thing after 34 hours into compiling. That's annoying, so it's currently been running for 5 hours again - just seen a mention of star office.

Will fink continue from where it left off? I doubt it, but does anyone know for sure? Surely the parts it has compiled already will remain, or will they be over-written as it starts again?

Anyhoo - Detrius (or anyone): Fancy putting a copy of your /sw/fink/debs directory somewhere online so's I can download it? It would be greatly appreciated, but there's no need if you can't/don't want to.

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules