Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Populating second MacPro Optical drive bay?

Populating second MacPro Optical drive bay?
sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2007, 11:06 AM

This is a really naive question, I'm sure, but is it possible (preferably, straightforward) to add a drive in the MacPro's second optical bay? I was thinking of putting an internal BluRay drive in the unused second bay. The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that Apples' manuals only talk about "replacing" the optical drive, not adding one in the empty bay, while they describe explicitly how to add new hard drives.

And even more naively, if I did have a second optical drive in there, how do I get it open and close? There's only one "eject" key, and no buttons for this....

Thanks for your patience,

--
Steve Anderson

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2007, 12:39 PM

Yes. It's possible to add a second optical drive under the primary one. Just follow the directions that you found on how to take out the drive cage and insert your second optical drive. All the cables and plugs are there already.

To open the tray of the second drive press [Option]+[Eject].

The only thing you have to be aware of is that you should try to make sure the lip of tray of the second optical drive will fit through the opening. Many (all?) of the optical drives have removable lips on their trays now.
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2007, 12:42 PM

Why would the MP have a second bay if it couldn't be used? A little critical thinking goes a long way.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Why would the MP have a second bay if it couldn't be used? A little critical thinking goes a long way.
Obviously. But it's not out of the question that there could be some proprietary Apple part (a cable, or an additional interface) that was needed to populate this bay if you didn't get a second optical drive when you bought the machine.

A little civility goes a long way, too.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2007, 12:56 PM

You asked if it was possible to install a second drive. The correct answer to that question is, "duh." Your question is akin to asking, "can I populate empty RAM slots or empty hard drive bays?"

Btw, Apple's own PDF documentation details adding a second drive, although it does make it seem like it's just talking about replacing the primary.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2007, 05:11 PM

DVD drive, Bluray drive, hard drive, flash drive... whatever you want can go in either bay.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 11:37 AM

I added a second drive to my machine. Takes all of 2 minutes. Option-Eject will open/close the second bay, or you can add the Eject menubar widget which gives you open/close functions (and labels them as "Upper SuperDrive" and "Lower SuperDrive").

Oh, but do realize that if you do put a Blu-Ray drive in, there is currently no way to play a Blu-Ray movie on a Mac; it will be a data-only drive.

edge.it
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2007, 06:51 PM

in 10.5 will their be blu ray support.

macpro 2.66 | 4GB | 7 TB
macbook pro 2.4i5 | 4GB | 500GB 7200rpm
technic 1210 M5G

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by edge.it View Post
in 10.5 will their be blu ray support.
You have documentation of this? Nothing has been announced publicly, so until then I would have to be cautious.

edge.it
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
You have documentation of this? Nothing has been announced publicly, so until then I would have to be cautious.
i was asking. but when i read my own post over quick it looked like i was saying.

CORRECTION...

WILL THERE BE BLU-RAY SUPPORT IN 10.5?

macpro 2.66 | 4GB | 7 TB
macbook pro 2.4i5 | 4GB | 500GB 7200rpm
technic 1210 M5G

Forum Links
Forum Rules