Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Use your powerbook as Desktop?

Use your powerbook as Desktop?
krux`
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 11:39 PM

Has anyone done or doing this? Sounds appealing to me however the feasibility i dont know about. Anyone have exerpeince on this?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2003, 11:52 PM

I used a 1GHz TiBook as a desktop for close to a year. Had it docked to a keyboard, mouse & 22" Cinema Display while at my desk. Pulled a couple of cables and away I went.

Worked just fine.

I've gone back to a desktop (dual 2GHz G5) at home for performance reasons, but still use the PowerBook as a desktop at work. Strange, but I get more work done at home than at work.

bigben1024
Oct 29, 2003, 12:17 AM

The dell desktop I bought three years ago is slower than my new powerbook, so I use the powerbook almost exclusively. I can still use the monitor (CRT), but have to unplug and plug every time...
<fancy signature here>

Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 01:48 AM

I use mine as a dektop replacement. I bought the iCurve along with an external keyboard and mouse. Couldn't be happier.
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 02:42 AM

ya this is a super common thing, hints the dvi outs and bluetooth keyboards and mice.
Force

krux`  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 03:04 AM

thank you!

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 03:05 AM

Yep. It's faster then my desktop Mac, so I am moving more and more programs over to it at work:

<This space under renovation>

EvanV
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 03:15 AM

I use my Dell 2.8 GHz desktop mainly for gaming and what not, while I plan to use my PowerBook 15'' AL for my home office and do business, transactions, chat etc..

When I get it (Ships Friday!), I'll probably balance the two 50/50 since they are both fairly fast and are for different purposes.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 04:22 AM

I use my Powerbook as my main computer for everything. A lot better than any Windows desktop I have, even the one I build myself.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

threestain
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 06:45 AM

I have my lovely TiBook as my only computer now that my old winbox died. Its everything - desktop, laptop, friend...!

Ruffcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 06:49 AM

I use my ti book linked up to a studio display plus wireless mouse and key board.

It has enough power and speed for all my needs and giives me maximum flexibility.
Ruff
( Last edited by Ruffcat; Oct 29, 2003 at 06:56 AM. )

Ruffcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 06:50 AM

I use my ti book linked up to a studio display plus wireless mouse and key board.

It has enough power and speed for all my needs and giives me maximum flexibility

p.s. very sorry about repost - small glitch and the delete post won't work for me at the moment

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 07:54 AM

Yup,my main machine, hooked up to a beautiful cinema display.

Mike

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 08:54 AM

I use my PB 12 as a desktop at the office. It's hooked up to my ACD 20 with the BT keyboard and mouse, PowerMate and JBL speakers. Works like a charm and my cellmates love the set-up.

At home I have the G5 as the main system.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

dcsmrgun
Oct 29, 2003, 11:17 AM

15" 1gig Al. Replaced my 1.2gig athlon which has now been given the "office space" treatment (it was already broken, don't worry ). No other external monitor, just the 15" itself. If I could find another 15" LCD that did 1280x1024 I'd use that. I don't want anything bigger than 15" now.

Its also hooked to my stereo. Salling clicker + iTunes + Stereo.
( Last edited by dcsmrgun; Oct 29, 2003 at 11:32 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules