Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New to Mac and I need some iHelp

New to Mac and I need some iHelp
Number6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 08:22 PM

I am a Windows and Linux user and I just got my first Mac. (iMac G5)

Everything is going real well but there's something I can't seem to find anywhere I look.

Is there a Mac equivalent of (WindowsKey + M)? It sends *all* open windows to the taskbar in Windows.

In Mac, I want to send *all* open windows to the dock and show a blank desktop.

A friend who has a Mac told me about the F13 (I think it was F13) key which sends all open windows to the sides of the screen. But that's not what I want. I want everything sent to the dock. Is there a way to do this easily? I googled this quite a bit and didn't get much.

Any help greatly appreciated.
( Last edited by Number6; Jul 24, 2005 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Made title more easy to understand)

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2005, 08:48 PM

Try +Option+H . It hides everything.

Number6  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 09:49 PM

That doesn't work. It leaves one window open.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2005, 09:52 PM

I don't think there is a way to do this. What are you trying to do, aside from just send a boatload of windows to the dock?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

krisneph
Jul 22, 2005, 09:57 PM

option+command click on the Finder icon

Number6  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 10:37 PM

What are you trying to do, aside from just send a boatload of windows to the dock?
I'm just trying to send everything to that "minimize" area of the dock all at once.

Generally, I have a great number of programs and files open at once. Sometimes I need to get everything out of the way and clear it without shutting down apps.

I'm trying to mimic the "Show Desktop" button in Windows on the taskbar, if it's possible.

krisneph
Jul 22, 2005, 10:41 PM

the other thing you can do is use the show desktop feature of expose I believe it's f12

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 12:32 AM

No, it's F11. F12 is dashboard, and F13 doesn't do anything.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2005, 12:53 AM

-Option-M (or clicking the minimize button while hold Option) will minimize every window within an application to the Dock (but not all windows visible), if that's how I understand what you're trying to do. F11 is a default Exposé function to send all windows to the side of the screen.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 12:55 AM

F11 actually. F11 is 'show desktop'. Even better than the Windows version, since you can hit it again when you are finished to continue working where you left off.

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2005, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by nbn22385
Try +Option+H . It hides everything.
Edit: first click on the desktop.

Number6  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by nbn22385
Edit: first click on the desktop.
Having to click on the desktop first is a pain.

And the F11 option doesn't do anything useful for me, since if I bring back one window, they *all* go back to where they were.

I simply cannot believe that this very simple thing can't be done easily in Mac!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2005, 07:50 PM

Well part of it is that it's one of the few ideas M$ has come up with on their own I guess. So there's nothing to point to that M$ copied from on Mac OS. That said, try getting used to F9 F10 and F11 IE Exposé. If you have a multi button mouse you can assign your scroll wheel to Exposé all windows. It's what I use to navigate though the mess of windows I often have open. Also if you want to hide an app that you're working with you can hold alt/option when switching and that will hide the app you're leaving. Honestly With the fact that not everything on OS X is held on one window for an app I actually think it's better that we don't have a quick way to do this. That said hide all will only leave a window open if you're doing it from an app with an open window.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 09:16 PM

Your tiltle of your thread is awful: it doesn't make it understable what you want to know or what your problem is.
Anyway, Expose seems to be your answer, although Option-Command-Clicking Finder is a good one as well.
IMHO it all comes down to getting used to how things are done: somtimes Windows procedures aren't better/worse then Mac procedures, it's more a matter of what is your habit.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2005, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Number6
I simply cannot believe that this very simple thing can't be done easily in Mac!
I honestly don't understand the utility of this. If you want the desktop, use F11. If you want a specific window, use F9. The Dock isn't meant as a place to keep all your windows.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Number6  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I honestly don't understand the utility of this. If you want the desktop, use F11. If you want a specific window, use F9. The Dock isn't meant as a place to keep all your windows.
Well if I use F11, all the windows go to the side, which might be OK, but when I click on one of the windows, all of them come back.

The problem with f9 is that it only seems to work on windows which are currently already on the desktop. If a window is already sent to the dock, it doesn't appear that I am able to select it via this method.

I think it all comes down to how you are used to working. I'm not used to Mac at all and there is a rather large learning curve here.

Your tiltle of your thread is awful: it doesn't make it understable what you want to know or what your problem is.
My apologies. I tried to edit it but it seems its not allowed.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 24, 2005, 12:31 AM

Why hide them?

Just tab through your open aps as you need them...

Apple + Tab... continue tabbing through as you see the ap that you want to bring to the top and then release.

You can then hold and hit the Q key for quitting any open ap as you tab as well..

danman
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2005, 12:36 AM

It's the Apple key + M to minimize all windows.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 01:05 AM

Number6: It seems like you want to 'hide everything', and then switch to a specific application. In this case, try holding cmd-option when clicking on the program you want in the dock. This will show that application, and hide all others.

In a similar sense, you can use cmd-option-H to hide all apps except the one at the front. If you actually want to use the desktop, F11 is there. You should have your bases covered with at least one of those options?

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jul 24, 2005, 01:39 AM

This is what you want

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/dl...esktop.dmg.sit

Works pretty well
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

Number6  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by NeilCharter
This is what you want