Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > daizy chain ap's as repeaters

daizy chain ap's as repeaters
twocows
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2005, 08:54 PM

anybody have any info on this?

ia m able to use my first access point as a repeater (dwl-2100) to the originating distrubutor which is also the same unit now when i connect a new unit (dwl-900+) it wont repeat. so basically i am repeating just once.
( Last edited by twocows; Nov 24, 2005 at 09:13 PM. )

twocows  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2005, 05:57 AM

ok well i got it to repeat cause macstumbler is showing its mac address. what i do wanna know is what ap the mac is associating with.

as you can see from the image attached one signal is strong and one is weak. i obviously want it to connect to the strong one.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 25, 2005, 08:46 AM

I still don't quite know what you're after. Are you just trying to extend your network's range?

Anyway, check the access points' labels or their configuration web pages to find out which one has that MAC address, and that will tell you which one is being associated with.

In general, repeating works best with hardware that's built to do just that. Access point/repeater setups tend to have glitches that make them less effective. One way to expand your network is to build a "roaming network." To do this, you just connect a second access point or wireless router via a long ethernet cable (you should be able to go 100meters (yes, METERS) with ethernet), give the second device the same SSID (network name) and a DIFFERENT CHANNEL. You chould also disable the remote device's DHCP server so you only have one on the network.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

twocows  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I still don't quite know what you're after. Are you just trying to extend your network's range?
ok i'll explain: I have two access points in the house. Access point 1 (Dwl-2100) is sitting on the roof and is acting as a repeater for the internet signal thats coming in. This is repeater 1.
So now i have another access point (Access point 2 - DWL 900+) which is repeating the signal from Access Point 1.

The laptop (ibook) is seeing BOTH access points. thats what the picture above is all about. Only problem is I dont know for sure what the laptop is associating to because BOTH access points are using the same SSID and i cant change the SSID because once you repeat you inherit what the other device has.

What i want to know is What Mac Address the Laptop is associating to. that way i'll know if its taking the weak signal from AP1.

now in regards to your "Roaming network" suggestion can you answer this for me:

What do i set AP1 to
and what do i set AP2 to?

What i mean is should AP1 be a client, a repeater, a what? what about 2?

(I dont have any other hardware to use. only those two APs)
( Last edited by twocows; Nov 25, 2005 at 09:05 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 25, 2005, 09:55 AM

In your setup, a roaming network won't work. I hadn't seen that your broadband feed was from a wireless network to start with.

You could simply change the channel of AP2 and see which channel the Mac picks up. That would make things easier to figure out at least.

twocows  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
In your setup, a roaming network won't work. I hadn't seen that your broadband feed was from a wireless network to start with.

You could simply change the channel of AP2 and see which channel the Mac picks up. That would make things easier to figure out at least.
cant change the channel while its in repeater mode. i set it to 6 and it keeps going back to 2 because thats what the AP1 is at and AP1 cant be changed cause thats what the broadband feed is set to. 2.

is there no way to find out with ifconfig perhaps what the wireless card is connected to?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 25, 2005, 10:42 AM

I've never had the chance to play with ifconfig to see how it would react in your situation, nor do I know right off whether or not there's an option to find the MAC address of the access point you're connected to. Sorry.

I believe that the issue is that your repeater is too close to the original access point, so the clients can see both and they get confused as to which they're going to/supposed to associate with.

twocows  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2005, 11:09 AM

quick question besides the whole repeating subject.

notice how in the image one repeater is showing signal strength of 60%? well that access point is no more than 1 foot away from the laptop. shouldnt the signal be a lot stronger? hmm... i wonder if its the ap antenna or the laptop antenna.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 25, 2005, 06:20 PM

I'd check the antenna cable in the iBook-it's easy to get to under the keyboard. It's not uncommon for the cable to come a little loose and reduce the effectiveness of the antenna.

twocows  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 04:05 PM

I foudn the answer i was seeking.

in system profiler i found this line:

Nov 26 12:13:50 m kernel: AirPort: Link Active: "Topnet_07801135018" - 001195da53b9 - chan 2

ok so this line basically tells me the bad news. its connecting to the ap with the weak signal.

There has to be a way to force it to connect to the other AP. I mean comeon. this is UNIX underneath.

Forum Links
Forum Rules