Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > odd. access point keeps recycling power.

odd. access point keeps recycling power.
twocows
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2005, 07:08 PM

This just started happening this evening.

The access point is connected through an extension cord which is connected to a UPS.
Whats happening is after about 15 or 20 seconds of it being on it'll stop sending out a signal then it would just turn off then cycle back on.

I plugged it directly into a wall and watched it .. it did the same exact thing.
anybody experience such symptons with an AP? this model is a Dlink DWL2100

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2005, 07:18 PM

Plug the AP into another socket and see what happens.

twocows  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2005, 08:03 PM

same thing. keeps recycling

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 27, 2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by twocows
... anybody experience such symptons with an AP ...
Yup, my first gen airport used to do exactly the same thing. There's tons of similar stories (about that particular airport model) out there, something about a crappy capacitator that blows out after several hundred hours of use, supposedly easy to fix if you know how to handle a soldering iron. Needless to say I simply went out and bought another AP.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2005, 08:17 PM

Yeah, it's probably toast. The devices don't last forever. Look at dealmac.com for good prices on new ones.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2005, 08:19 PM

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 27, 2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
Good link

$45 isn't all that cheap but taking into consideration that they give you a 1yr warranty not all that bad either. Probably quite useful for someone who did not throw away their graphite Airport.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 27, 2005, 09:58 PM

See if it quits rebooting if you unplug (and disconnect wirelessly) all the Macs running OS X. I ended up returning a D-Link wireless router because the second a Mac running Tiger connected (via wire or wireless), it would crash and reboot.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2005, 09:49 AM

It could also be a thermal issue. While you're playing with it, leave the router unplugged for a while-like an hour or two. This should both allow any transient logic issues to resolve themselves AND allow the box to cool off quite a bit.

My first wired router gave me problems after a while; it would reboot or just stall for no apparent reason. It took me a while to figure out that those cool "stacking feet" on Linksys boxes are NOT a good idea for actually stacking Linksys devices-they put the boxes too close together and limit the amount of airflow around them. Give your devices plenty of room for ambient air to flow around them and they'll work better for longer.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 28, 2005, 11:31 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules