Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power Mac G5: Any way to switch out case fans so it's quieter?

Power Mac G5: Any way to switch out case fans so it's quieter?
badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2008, 06:27 AM

Is there any way to swap out the fans (maybe for a newer version fan or a newer one of the same fan) to make it quieter?

I don't have a fan on the graphics card, and the noise isn't from anything else other than the case fans.

There's a constant swirl sound It's not the end of the world, but if there's anything I can do to make it SILENT (near it) I'd do it

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2008, 06:03 PM

If it is loud, it might need a thermal calibration. As far as I know, only an Apple tech can do this for you. Or it might be a problem. Unless your fans are particularly clogged, changing them out probably won't help. A widget like iStat Nano will tell you fan speed. Perhaps others here could report theirs for you to compare. Most G5s are pretty damn quiet when running properly, but they are seriously loud when they aren't.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules