Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Contemplating Mac Mini or MacBook Purchase, Number of queries inside, HDTV link etc.

Contemplating Mac Mini or MacBook Purchase, Number of queries inside, HDTV link etc.
kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 05:04 PM

Hi all,

I have been contemplating a Mac purchase for about a year now, I nearly bought one a few months back, 24" iMac, but I ended up with an xbox360 and HDTV for entertainment purposes. Anywho, saving up again and I nearly have enough for a Mac Mini or a Mac Book. But I can't decide between the two.

I'd still love an iMac but I don't have room for it within my room space. That said, i'm contemplating purchasing a Mac Mini and hooking it up to the HDTV. But i'm curious as to the performance upon linking a Mac Mini with a HDTV and its screen performance? Is it a crisp, seemless transfer or because the screen isn't a Monitor is there problems that can arise???

Secondly, I like the idea of using a Mac Book and hooking that up to my HDTV when i'm not on my xbox or watching TV. Is this possible and if so, how is the screen quality? I'm leaning towards a MacBook due to the fact I can use it whilst i'm watching TV or I can go downstairs and enjoy the internet wherever, unrestricted use.

Spec preference:

Around 2GHz Core 2 Duo processor
2 GB RAM
80 + GB HDD
Dual Layer SuperDrive

All responses will be greatly appreciated

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 06:41 PM

Assuming your HDTV has HDMI or DVI (same thing, different packaging), they'll both look good just like a monitor except bigger.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 07:44 PM

Thanks

That's amazing, I think i'll go with a MacBook asap then, thanks a lot, would you recommend a MacBook over a Mac Mini???

Is the battery on the MacBook easily replaced if it goes like all other batteries in laptops???

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 08:02 PM

Also, how easy is it to install 4GB's RAM into a MacBook on your own accord?

Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 08:59 PM

Yes, I'd go with a MacBook over a mini. I'd only buy a mini if you already have laptop and want something permanently connected at home.

The MacBook has an easily replaceable battery.

Installing 4GB is easy, just takes 2 screws. Here's the memory you want.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 10:43 AM

Integrating a MacBook into a home theatre is annoying. However, obviously you can use a MacBook everywhere else too. Depends on your needs.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Integrating a MacBook into a home theatre is annoying. However, obviously you can use a MacBook everywhere else too. Depends on your needs.
"Needs?"
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules