Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How I can disable an iPad whitout physical damage

How I can disable an iPad whitout physical damage
devora8788
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2017, 11:10 AM

Hi, I'm a desperate single mother of a teenager 14, he always been an active child in sports and very social since last year when his father give him iPad for his birthday, he is addicted to the iPad not eating, no getting out of his room, and just been a total extranger to the family please help me I wanna disable this thing asap.

P
Feb 10, 2017, 11:47 AM

There is a passcode feature. Simply go to the Settings and change the passcode to something he doesn't know. You do need to know the current code to change it, however. You can also set specific restrictions to limit what can be done with the iPad (ie, disable games but not email, etc). Go to Settings and use the search box at the top of the first window to find the specific setting you need.

Please be aware that the iPad can be reset with a computer with iTunes or over the Internet if you control the iCloud account that owns it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Feb 10, 2017, 01:04 PM

Stay strong devora. My kid has one from school and we do have to pry it off him sometimes! At least he uses his for homework. The school has put restrictions on the ipad though so he's limited to what websites to go to and can't download apps. (No games, for instance). What is your son doing on the ipad?

Have you tried physical limitations, like taking it away after 2 hours per day? As P says, any software restrictions could be reset by someone with account access, whose account does it sync with?

This link talks more about what P was saying:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

you could also try a monitoring app, I found this one on google but no idea if good:
How To Setup Parental Controls On The iPad

Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules