Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > WMP 7

WMP 7
exa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2000, 02:13 PM

Windows media player 7, does it support that DivX format, anyone know?

unicron
Oct 22, 2000, 09:39 PM

not the couple of full-length divx movies i tried it with..

mac freak
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2000, 12:18 AM

You'll need a third-party addon to play DivX in WMP...

I got mine somewhere off Hotline like 5 months ago, and I have no idea where, so I can't help you on that front.

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

memento
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2000, 12:28 PM

go to http://mac.divx.st/

They have the software you need.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

camera punk
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2000, 01:00 PM

DivX Player 1.0b8r2 isn't compatable with WMP 7. you have to keep 6.3 around until they release a new version to function with WMP 7.

kangooboobooboo
Oct 25, 2000, 02:41 PM

Divx will be NO LONGER supported for WMP 7+
the codecs are now more protected and integrated into the player (so much more harder to get!) stick with old stuff. However, it *may* work with the original hacked codecs (not the divx player so) you can found somewhere and the Net.
Check mac.divx.st for info
ps : they are working on a new better codec (and QuickTime optimized =)

technically offended
Dec 1, 2000, 10:12 PM

You people are idiots. WMP or any other decoder/player will decode with whatever codecs that you currently have installed on your computer. You don't need 'special software', just download and intstall the freaking codec. You should really consider doing a little research before admitting stupidity. No offense, but I'm offended. Just search for Divx Codec using Google. . .

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2000, 11:20 PM

T.O., I would like to see you post a screenshot of WMP7 with DIVX working, since you seem to know everything.

Microsoft has a long history of embedding codecs, along with whatever else they feel necessary, into their code at a base level to the point where someone has to crack it from the inside out. Which is what folks are probably trying to do now.

//e

Stupidity Offended
Dec 2, 2000, 02:19 AM

Technically Offended wrote:
"You people are idiots. WMP or any other decoder/player will decode (blah blah blah)...."
YOU are the idiot. If you had bothered to even try to run divx movies in WMP (6.3 or 7) then you'd know it DOESN'T WORK. Why the hell do you think they've made a seperate app that specifically plays divx files???

YOU have proven YOUR OWN stupidity by posting about something which you obviously KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

Forum Links
Forum Rules