Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Htpc

Htpc
cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2011, 03:01 PM

Since my efforts to get DLNA working with my Samsung TV I decided to look into an HTPC. Requirements are:

1. Silent
2. Internal storage (HDD)
3. Can play 1080P
4. Wireless connectivity
5. Priced under $500

At the top of my list is the Asus EEE 1012P but are there better options? AMD's Fusion looks promising and I may be able to build something better for the same price though I don't know where to start with a build.

What do you think? Buy pre-built or build? If pre-built which one? If a build, what would I need? Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2011, 01:08 PM

Pre-built vs build depends on the value of your time and how much it's a project vs a product. If you build, you need a case (most htpc cases come with power supplies), a motherboard, a cpu, memory, a hard drive, and possibly a wifi adapter (if the motherboard doesn't include it). In general the DIY cases are going to be larger than the pre-built options.

1080p is easy as long as the media uses codecs that you have hardware acceleration for; even ARM can do it for H.264.

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2011, 08:31 PM

Thanks, would you recommend anything in particular? I'm not opposed to building a system to meet my needs.

The Zotac ZBox AD02 looks like another option (not yet released but more powerful than the Asus EEE 1012P I linked to previously).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2011, 11:31 PM

Used mini.

Forum Links
Forum Rules