Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The FOOD Thread

The FOOD Thread (Page 2)
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2016, 12:29 PM

I remember Blimpies subs- they made huge ass sandwiches, doused in vinegar and oil, salt, pepper... miss them.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2016, 12:45 PM

I'm finding Jersey Mike's subs to be pretty decent. Them slicing the meat at the moment helps, and they're definitely on the "messy" side of things.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Aug 12, 2016, 12:53 PM

Been experimenting, and now have what I believe is the perfect steak. Bought a Weber gas grill with the small knob which has a direct flame which charrs the meat. heavy pat down of course salt/pepper on 2" steaks, and a thermometer to about 135ish. All agree that the steaks are the best anyone has tasted in a restaurant or out. I'll be grilling in February for sure.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2016, 01:09 PM

Never did much steak on the grill.

I was famous for brats. The trick is to cook them very slowly and make sure they never stick. Rub cold beer on the brats as you go to help with the former. Brush the grill with oil as you go to help with the latter.

If this can be managed, the casing never splits and you're rewarded with the juiciest brat you've ever tasted.

Boil sliced onions in beer for extra credit.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2016, 03:22 PM

Best steak I ever had was cooked by an ex-Angolan soldier on a big fire pit in Botswana. He cooked the whole fillet on metal spike. Every 20 minutes or so he would drizzle something over it and turn it over again. Just melted in the mouth, absolutely superb.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2016, 09:40 AM

I'm getting ready to make a bunch of spaghetti sauce. Do you do yours from scratch or modifying a bottle of store bought sauce? How about Chili? Do you make it from scratch, use a can of something, or some variant? I'm starting with some 80/20 hamburger and onion and tomato sauce that I will spice up. I like mine a little on the sweet side to go against the slight bitterness of the tomato sauce.

Chili - I make a 2 gallon batch with some hamburger, onion, and garlic, but add 4-7 cans of dark kidney beans, 2-3 cans of black beans, 6-9 green peppers, a butt load of spices, but NO really hot stuff, but you can add that later. I know there regional variants, so what do YOU do? Do you serve it with corn bread, or over macaroni noodles, or in a bowl with cheese and hot sauce, sour cream, or spring onions etc? I split it up into those ziplock screw on lid containers and freeze them, usually about 10-16 containers.

What kind of soups do you make instead of buying a can of something?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Chili - I make a 2 gallon batch with some hamburger, onion, and garlic, but add... beans
And you were doing so well!

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2016, 12:30 PM

I love beans in chilli. Prefer it with.

Don't oil your grill for brats. Just clean it good and then use indirect heat. Brats will swell up wonderfully but not break - no need to cook them super slowly either, 15-20 mins will be fine.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2016, 12:59 PM

One would imagine if it takes an hour, indirect heat is involved.

Beans wreck chili.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2016, 03:35 PM

Beans are fine in chilli.

An ex girlfriend used to make a good Stilton and Broccoli soup. I don't think there was much more to it actually. Broccoli, Stilton, cream I guess. It all spent some time in a pan and some in a blender. Not sure which came first. Delicious though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2016, 04:43 PM

Beans in or out of chili is a regional thing. I also add corn and cut up tomatoes.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Beans are fine in chilli.
Philistine!

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
One would imagine if it takes an hour, indirect heat is involved.
Why would you cook extremely low indirect heat for an hour for brats? Low and slow works for tougher cuts of meats because you're slowly breaking down connective tissue; brats are stuffed and that aspect isn't important - getting the right temperature w/o breaking/splitting/cracking and losing all the juices is the goal. Indirect heat is key - super low heat is not.

I've never heard of any chef doing that. I have soaked some in beer though, although my conclusion was that it isn't worth the waste with a high-quality butcher brat.

Beans wreck chili.
I know this is a popular complaint from the Texas crowd but as mentioned, it really is a regional variant and it really is dependent on whether you like beans. I love beans - a good mix of quality soaked beans is an amazing addition to any chilli I've made. Canned doesn't have quite the same taste pop but still delicious as long as not added to early and turned to mush.

I was at a local chilli fair near Houston earlier this summer and ate enough homemade chilli to put myself off it for the next few months, haha. Tons of both methods there and it was a regular topic of discussion - both were excellent but again, I love beans. FWIW I brought down a big container of my wild venison chilli - nervous suitcase times, haha - and no one accused me of embarrassing myself. With beans, of course.

mindwaves
Aug 13, 2016, 08:01 PM

Generally speaking, I hate beans in any form in practically any dish from any cuisine. O consider them as a filler and I do not like. I do not mind them in small quantities in some sort of side dish or as part of the main course, but do not want them served as the main course or be a large part of any side course.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2016, 08:31 PM

carbos to go with the protein to make a one dish meal. BTW, The chili I make for chili dogs has only about 1/5th the beans as my other recipe, and it's run through a food processor for smoother consistency.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
Why would you cook extremely low indirect heat for an hour for brats? Low and slow works for tougher cuts of meats because you're slowly breaking down connective tissue; brats are stuffed and that aspect isn't important - getting the right temperature w/o breaking/splitting/cracking and losing all the juices is the goal. Indirect heat is key - super low heat is not.

I've never heard of any chef doing that. I have soaked some in beer though, although my conclusion was that it isn't worth the waste with a high-quality butcher brat.

I know this is a popular complaint from the Texas crowd but as mentioned, it really is a regional variant and it really is dependent on whether you like beans. I love beans - a good mix of quality soaked beans is an amazing addition to any chilli I've made. Canned doesn't have quite the same taste pop but still delicious as long as not added to early and turned to mush.

I was at a local chilli fair near Houston earlier this summer and ate enough homemade chilli to put myself off it for the next few months, haha. Tons of both methods there and it was a regular topic of discussion - both were excellent but again, I love beans. FWIW I brought down a big container of my wild venison chilli - nervous suitcase times, haha - and no one accused me of embarrassing myself. With beans, of course.
As I said, so they don't burst open. I'm glad you've found a good temperature which gets them done quicker. Honestly.

Beans are a regional difference. Some regions have shittier food than others.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
carbos to go with the protein to make a one dish meal. BTW, The chili I make for chili dogs has only about 1/5th the beans as my other recipe, and it's run through a food processor for smoother consistency.
Though slightly more effort is involved. Macaroni is the one true way to carb up some chili.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2016, 07:51 AM

You probably don't do red beans n rice either.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2016, 01:05 PM

It's filler x 2, but I actually like it.

Speaking of rice...

The "plain" fried rice cheat code: I would like an order of fried rice with just egg and green onions.

If you say "plain fried rice" you'll usually get either white rice, or what you get if you ask for "fried rice with no meat", which is vegetable fried rice.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 15, 2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Though slightly more effort is involved. Macaroni is the one true way to carb up some chili.
That's called goulash.

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
I boil mine with sliced onions in some cheap beer, then finish on the grill for a nice color and grill marks.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
That's called goulash.
Or chili-mac.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2016, 01:43 PM

Just made a big batch of chili yesterday! Being from the midwest it definitely has beans in addition to meat. Lately I've been making it with dried chilies instead of ground chili powder. Plenty of spices. Red and green bell peppers. Diced onions and celery. Fire roasted diced tomatoes. Brown sugar. Chocolate. Etc.

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules