Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > where are the video backgrounds in leopard ichat?

where are the video backgrounds in leopard ichat?
nycdunz
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 06:14 AM

I only have 2 pages of effects and on those 2 i dont see any video background effects anywhere? is this because im on a PPC machine and not intel? If so why!?! It's not like my computer is old... I have a dual 2.7 ghz G5,geeez!

theres got to be some sort of way to bypass this by editing a plist file or some sort...

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 07:16 AM

Go to Audio (or Video if you have a cam connected) and select Connection Doctor. Then use the drop-down menu to select Capabilities. This will show what iChat thinks your machine is capable of.

See also:
Mac OS X 10.5: iChat system requirements
Video backdrop effects require Intel Core Duo or better apparently.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 07:23 AM

Yep, they wont run on a G5 "insufficient CPU"

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 08:01 AM

The "R2D2" or "Emperor's Transmission" Effect is absent from iCHat even though it was previewed.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 08:04 AM

insufficient CPU? I have a dual 2.7GHZ G5 and thats not enough? geez...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 12:11 PM

The G5 isn't all Apple said it was cracked up to be, eh? Glad I never bought one.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Yep, they wont run on a G5 "insufficient CPU"
It's bullshit too. They said that about the drop shadow mouse for the G3s too. And someone called their bluff and got it to work. And work well.

This is what they do to promote hardware sales. They leave out features for all computers but the latest ones so people feel they need to get a new computer or they are missing out.

It's one of the new Apple strategies that I think is FOS. If anything, it makes me NOT want to buy new hardware.
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
The G5 isn't all Apple said it was cracked up to be, eh? Glad I never bought one.
Oh I am sure it's powerful enough. They will just say "It didn't work up to our expectations"

Which is a generic term so they can do the above.

Not in ALL cases, but most I have ran into.

The are saying the SAME THING about the transparent menu bar. Even though you've been able to do that in ever OS since 10.0.0 by theme changes. Certain computers it will work on (The newest) and anything else it wont. This is very Microsoftonian of them.
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
The "R2D2" or "Emperor's Transmission" Effect is absent from iCHat even though it was previewed.
Read above.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 02:20 PM

figures, so does anyone know how to hack it so i can have the transparent menubars and get those video chat backgrounds working? must be a plist file or somesort...

macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by nycdunz View Post
figures, so does anyone know how to hack it so i can have the transparent menubars and get those video chat backgrounds working? must be a plist file or somesort...
http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...-features-too/

Someone has it in that thread..

Forum Links
Forum Rules