Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RIP Swayze

RIP Swayze
residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2009, 10:25 PM

Patrick Swayze dies of cancer at 57 - CNN.com

just watched roadhouse last night too.

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2009, 10:26 PM

Damn. Another one.
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 10:46 PM

Lesson for everyone: there's no substitute for western medicine. Please don't buy into that homeopathic crap. You're signing your own death sentence.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 11:08 PM

I'm not disagreeing, but his cancer was terminal. I don't think Western medicine can save you in that kind of situation either.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 12:21 AM

Yeah, I don't understand olePigeon's comment. Was he trying to do without modern medical treatment at the end?

He seemed like a very nice guy. Sad to see what he went through and the fact that he was relatively young. Makes you think.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Lesson for everyone: there's no substitute for western medicine. Please don't buy into that homeopathic crap. You're signing your own death sentence.
When all else fails you'll try anything.

Tomorrow I'll watch Point Break in his honor.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
When all else fails you'll try anyt
I can't imagine saying to myself "Well, all of our medical knowledge isn't sufficient to save me so I think I'll try this completely useless garbage. Maybe that'll work."

Then again, I've never had I terminal disease that I know of.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2009, 01:23 AM

best cooler in the business

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2009, 05:41 AM

Point Break and Next of Kin and Red Dawn. Kick ass movies. But I think I won't ever forget his Chippendale dance on Saturday Night Live with Chris Farley. Now that was damned hilarious!!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 05:57 AM

Godspeed Bro.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 09:13 AM

RIP Pat
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

andi*pandi
Sep 15, 2009, 11:03 AM

aw man. A toast to you Swayze, and your excellent Dirty Dancing poster that graced my dorm room wall.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 11:41 AM

I had read that he tried homeopathic first, but it appears I was wrong. Still a good lesson, though.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 12:18 PM

Where is besson?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I can't imagine saying to myself "Well, all of our medical knowledge isn't sufficient to save me so I think I'll try this completely useless garbage. Maybe that'll work."

Then again, I've never had I terminal disease that I know of.
You're saying if you were worth 10s of millions of $$$ you'd wait around to die as your body wastes away to nothing? I don't think so. Any sane person would try all avenues of treatment if conventional medicine fails, it's part of the basic human instinct to survive.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 02:04 PM

You're saying if you were worth 10s of millions of $$$ you'd wait around to die as your body wastes away to nothing? I don't think so. Any sane person would try all avenues of treatment if conventional medicine fails, it's part of the basic human instinct to survive.
I would try experimental medicine, but never homeopathy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 15, 2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Where is besson?
I wasn't gonna say it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 02:42 PM

I would try experimental medicine, but never homeopathy.
If you're hanging from a cliff, losing your grip, you'll reach out for any tuft of grass to keep from dying. Your rational mind will tell you that those weeds can't support your weight, but you'll do it anyway.

There's no reason to belittle someone's choices when they're falling.
- Thomas Paine

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 03:24 PM

Interesting generalization about what "any sane person" would do, but no I can't see myself wasting my limited time with homeopathy at all.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 03:32 PM

If you're hanging from a cliff, losing your grip, you'll reach out for any tuft of grass to keep from dying. Your rational mind will tell you that those weeds can't support your weight, but you'll do it anyway.

There's no reason to belittle someone's choices when they're falling.
This is a poor analogy. When you are dying of a terminal disease you actually have time to accept it and make rational decisions. I would say that most of the people who mess with worthless alternative cures and schemes when they are dying are likely to have tried that kind of crap even if they weren't.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 03:49 PM

This is a poor analogy. When you are dying of a terminal disease you actually have time to accept it and make rational decisions. I would say that most of the people who mess with worthless alternative cures and schemes when they are dying are likely to have tried that kind of crap even if they weren't.
Unproven does not necessarily mean worthless. Do you also reject experimental surgery?

Obviously if you think something is completely worthless, you won't do it. But if the expected benefit outweighs the cost, it's rational to do it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2009, 04:55 PM

He's not dead. He's filming Ghost 2.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 05:07 PM

Interesting generalization about what "any sane person" would do, but no I can't see myself wasting my limited time with homeopathy at all.
It's still true, no matter how much you deny it. Few people would be so closed-minded as to forgo a Hail Mary pass when time is running out.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 05:10 PM

But yet, it also gives you more time to brood over your situation and think of even more last-ditch efforts to prolong your life. I can confidently say that your views would be in the minority.
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 05:11 PM

I'm here guys, but I can barely bring myself to posting to this thread. My keyboard is completely soaked in tears.

Patrick Swayze defined what a man should be. I have always wished to be a hybrid of the Patrick Swayze from Dirty Dancing and Roadhouse and spent many hours in front of a mirror trying, but I always fell short. He was America's dirty dancer, and kicked ass to boot.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Unproven does not necessarily mean worthless. Do you also reject experimental surgery?

Obviously if you think something is completely worthless, you won't do it. But if the expected benefit outweighs the cost, it's rational to do it.
Very valid point. Actively looking for alternatives can also give a person a stronger will to live, which has been proven to extend the lives of terminally ill patients.
- Thomas Paine

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2009, 05:20 PM

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2009, 05:24 PM

^ ha ha

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 07:41 PM

Unproven does not necessarily mean worthless.
So what exactly is unproven about a dog's genitalia as it pertains to curing cancer? I'm pretty sure they don't cure cancer. I'm also pretty sure that, at least as far as current medical techniques are concerned, the only way to "cure" cancer is to surgically remove the cancerous tissue, then bombard the rest of your body with heavy doses of radioactivity.

If a dog's nuts cured cancer, I guarantee it'd be front page of every single news paper in the world.

Homeopathy is not unproven, it's just baseless claims and bull artists making a quick buck off peoples' gullibility. Unfortunately anything can labeled a supplement, and any claim can be made about it so long as a little asterisk is next to it that sates that the claim hasn't be verified by the FDA.

There is no secret cure that doctor's don't want you to know about. I loath the FDA in regards to supplements because they don't verify supplement claims or the safety of the product. Only after people suffer from organ failure, stroke, heart attacks, and death to they actually do anything about it.

Christ, there are companies selling cyanide tablets as a vitamin supplement! The FDA doesn't do anything until after people start dying. Cyanide! What ing genius allows a company to market cyanide as a food supplement?

Do you also reject experimental surgery?
No. Experimental surgery is overseen by a board of medicine. It is at least based on a scientific understanding of human anatomy. Only the facts are laid out as your options to consider, with probability of success, failure, or unknown certainty. There is no double-speak about what is going to happen. It is not complete quackery pulled out of some guys ass so he can make a bunch of money off of gullible Americans. Whether or not he procedure is successful, we learn something invaluable.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2009, 08:41 AM

So what exactly is unproven about a dog's genitalia as it pertains to curing cancer? I'm pretty sure they don't cure cancer. I'm also pretty sure that, at least as far as current medical techniques are concerned, the only way to "cure" cancer is to surgically remove the cancerous tissue, then bombard the rest of your body with heavy doses of radioactivity.

If a dog's nuts cured cancer, I guarantee it'd be front page of every single news paper in the world.

Homeopathy is not unproven, it's just baseless claims and bull artists making a quick buck off peoples' gullibility. Unfortunately anything can labeled a supplement, and any claim can be made about it so long as a little asterisk is next to it that sates that the claim hasn't be verified by the FDA.

There is no secret cure that doctor's don't want you to know about. I loath the FDA in regards to supplements because they don't verify supplement claims or the safety of the product. Only after people suffer from organ failure, stroke, heart attacks, and death to they actually do anything about it.

Christ, there are companies selling cyanide tablets as a vitamin supplement! The FDA doesn't do anything until after people start dying. Cyanide! What ing genius allows a company to market cyanide as a food supplement?
I can't believe I so wholeheartedly agree with you.

Homeopathy is nonsense of the highest order. It is so utterly stupid that it doesn't even deserve the attention of real scientific study…yet they have done it. Repeatedly. And what is the result? It's crap. Not "Hey, this isn't conclusive and there are things here that warrant further study.", but pure unadulterated crap.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
oh snap!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2009, 09:30 AM

Tomorrow I'll watch Point Break in his honour.
Ditto

Forum Links
Forum Rules