Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 7 inches

7 inches
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2010, 02:02 PM

Why does it seem like all these Android tablets coming out have this form factor/size? Do they not realize by the sales numbers that Apple maybe got the tablet thing right? Are they specifically trying to not imitate? Seems silly.

"good artists borrow, great artists steal"

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2010, 02:04 PM

In before penis joke.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2010, 02:45 PM

Some ridiculously well-spoken and intelligent person wrote this in the iPod forum...

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
What do you guys think about a 7" iPad? To me it feels like an awkward size. A little to small to be a great web browser and a little too big to be a pocketable portable media device. The way I see it, once something doesn't fit in your pocket, you may as well just go for a larger device...

...and the current iPad seems like the perfect size for something that is both small and easy to take with you, yet big enough to not feel cramped or limited... and the current iPod Touch seems like the perfect size for a pocketable media device.

And what screen ratio do you think they would use? The 3:2 of the iPhone or the 4:3 of the iPad? The iPhone ratio seems to make more sense, but then iPad apps wouldn't fit quite right.

I don't know. I guess I'm just not seeing the appeal. What do you guys think? Would you want a 7" iPad? And what price do they make it to fit in between the Touch and the iPad? I feel like it would almost have to be $299 to be a hit, but then you are in iPod Touch territory.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 22, 2010, 02:48 PM

Reason for the form factor? Probably availability of lower cost parts-the screen in particular.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Sep 22, 2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
In before penis joke.
Guess I'm not the only one. Who thought this might be a special kind of spam thread.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2010, 03:42 PM

I find it kind of funny how all of the anti-apple trolls mocked the iPad endlessly over how much it cost, but thus far every competing tablet has been just as or way more expensive than an iPad.

Isn't that 7" Samsung Tab thing going to be like $1,000 bucks unsubsidized? That's crazy.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 03:49 PM

7" for a tablet is completely useless. You need that screen real estate for magazines, browsing, books. I think the iPad's current form factor is just about perfect.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I find it kind of funny how all of the anti-apple trolls mocked the iPad endlessly over how much it cost, but thus far every competing tablet has been just as or way more expensive than an iPad.

Isn't that 7" Samsung Tab thing going to be like $1,000 bucks unsubsidized? That's crazy.
One of the gdgt dudes wrote a pretty good piece about that. Samsung's Galaxy Tab pricing problem Samsung has done a pretty good job so far... - gdgt

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 04:41 PM

I feel like 7" is a better size for a tablet. You can fit two Galaxy Tabs on top of the iPad side by side. The Tab is small enough to just grab and go, but the iPad is large enough (and heavy enough) where I'd think twice about carrying it all day.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2010, 05:07 PM

I am about the closest thing to an android fanboy on this forum, although that began primarily because I am vehemently anti-AT&T. Otherwise I might have an iPhone.

7" is pointless in my opinion as far as a tablet display. What can I do with 7" that I really can't do with 4"? (yeah, ripe for more penis jokes)

I do believe Apple got the iPad form factor right. I own a Samsung Galaxy S, and I find it to be a great piece of hardware. I just can't see a good reason to buy into a 7" version of the same thing.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 05:31 PM

I'm thrilled that so many 7" 16:9 tablets are coming out. I already have a Blackberry so my number one priority for another portable device is something to watch movies on. Other priorities include web browsing and games (PvZ would be great for long flights).

3.5" 3:2 iTouch is too small to watch movies and tv shows.
9.7" 4:3 iPad is too heavy and too square.

I'd buy a 6-7" 16:9 wifi iDevice immediately because iOS is more of a known quantity to me than Android, but Apple hasn't seen fit to give me that option.

So I'll be buying the wifi Galaxy Tab or the 7" Streak if there's a wifi option.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2010, 05:54 PM

Can't remember where I read it, but there was something about screen size and access to the Android Marketplace. Greater than 7 inches and you couldn't get access or something.

I'm sure that by the time that I have to put up with the strikers in France tomorrow morning, someone will have found something.

And with all those somethings, its time for bed.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2010, 05:59 PM

I don't see the point in a smaller iPad. 7" in general seems strange. A touch larger than the newer, huge-screen phones like the EVO. Maybe I'm not the target demo, but even then, why not go for 8-9"?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 22, 2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I'm thrilled that so many 7" 16:9 tablets are coming out. I already have a Blackberry so my number one priority for another portable device is something to watch movies on. Other priorities include web browsing and games (PvZ would be great for long flights).

3.5" 3:2 iTouch is too small to watch movies and tv shows.
Why is that? I watch hours of movies and TV on my iPod on airplanes. Sure a bigger screen would be nicer, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on any detail and I don't have to stow the iPod above my seat.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I don't see the point in a smaller iPad. 7" in general seems strange. A touch larger than the newer, huge-screen phones like the EVO. Maybe I'm not the target demo, but even then, why not go for 8-9"?
Where by "a touch" you mean over 150% larger?

7" diagonal is closer in screen area to 9.7" than 4.3".

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Why is that? I watch hours of movies and TV on my iPod on airplanes. Sure a bigger screen would be nicer, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on any detail and I don't have to stow the iPod above my seat.
I couldn't find a viewing distance where it was comfortable to hold and pleasant to watch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 06:46 PM

I couldn't find a viewing distance where it was comfortable to hold and pleasant to watch.
That's what she said.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 22, 2010, 08:58 PM

Snap! Yes!!!!!!!!!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2010, 09:09 PM

7", just comfortable for her to hold and is pleasant to look at.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2010, 09:35 PM

Why would you have to stow your iPad above the seat ?
Put it in the seat pocket.

-t

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Greater than 7 inches and you couldn't get access or something.
Fnarr fnarr.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That's what he said.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
Why does it seem like all these Android tablets coming out have this form factor/size? Do they not realize by the sales numbers that Apple maybe got the tablet thing right? Are they specifically trying to not imitate? Seems silly.

"good artists borrow, great artists steal"
Just because the iPad is a runaway hit doesn't mean that 10" is the only size for a tablet. There are certainly times when I find my iPad to be a little too large, most notably when I'm trying to read ebooks.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 09:57 PM

What *I* don't get is why people who have no intention of purchasing an Android device must complain about them so much. I, for one, welcome the competition, and subsequent improvement of Apple products, that Android represents.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Can't remember where I read it, but there was something about screen size and access to the Android Marketplace. Greater than 7 inches and you couldn't get access or something.
EDIT: False.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Sep 22, 2010 at 10:12 PM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Not 100% sure, but I think that apps built in Google's SDK won't scale larger than 7" without building them for a larger device specifically. Similar to how pre-retina display apps will scale to the iPhone 4, but won't truly run natively on the iPad.
I'm working on the development of an Android app using Google's SDK right now that scales up perfectly fine on our 10" Android tablet.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 10:12 PM

Oh okay. What 10" Android tablet??

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 10:30 PM

This thing:
Amazon.com: 10.2" IRobot Google Android 2.1 Apad Epad Notebook Laptop 256M 2GB 1.06GHZ CPU WIFI Touch Screen: Computer & Accessories

The thing is a complete piece of crap, but the app we're building scales up to 10" with no troubles.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 22, 2010, 11:11 PM

-t
They always say that laptops can't be stored in the seat pocket. I know enforcement is sporadic and that an iPad can probably sneak through without issues, but it's the principle.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2010, 11:34 PM

They always say that laptops can't be stored in the seat pocket. I know enforcement is sporadic and that an iPad can probably sneak through without issues, but it's the principle.
a) it's not a laptop
b) I haven't had problems on any flights (mainly United, Lufthansa, KLM). I always stow it in the seat pocket.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 01:06 AM

If we're being technical, an iPod can't be stored in the pocket either. All personal items must be either underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2010, 07:20 AM

If we're being technical, an iPod can't be stored in the pocket either. All personal items must be either underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins.
This is not the reality.

I have NEVER EVER seen a flight attended make a fuss about small items like newspapers, books, headphones etc. in the seat pocket. The iPad is as small as a book, so no issue there.

Only large things would not be allowed.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 08:23 AM

But the iPod can fit in my pocket, unlike a 7" device (I assume). Turtle's right though, it's extremely unlikely that anyone would make a fuss over an iPad in a seat pocket.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 12:37 PM

I prefer seats without pockets.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2010, 12:42 PM

I prefer sites without flash.

Very sci-fi.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2010, 12:45 PM

It's a moot point, anyway. These are the airline "seats" of the future.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
It's a moot point, anyway. These are the airline "seats" of the future.
Really, it's amazing that we can't sustain air travel and match the comfort being an economy car at the same time.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 01:01 PM

This is not the reality.

I have NEVER EVER seen a flight attended make a fuss about small items like newspapers, books, headphones etc. in the seat pocket. The iPad is as small as a book, so no issue there.

Only large things would not be allowed.

-t
I'm just stating the regs, not how they are enforced.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2010, 01:09 PM

Sure, if you and/or your company can afford it.

It's about damn time for United, they have become the TWA of the 21st century.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 01:41 PM

Wouldn't the 21st century TWA be the AAirline that bought TWA, still flies the TWA MD80s, and still doesn't have a horizontal business product?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2010, 01:48 PM

Android, by google's own admission, isn't ready to power tablets.

I am guessing 7" is the maximum size where things don't look like crap.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 01:50 PM

Wouldn't the 21st century TWA be the AAirline that bought TWA, still flies the TWA MD80s, and still doesn't have a horizontal business product?
And AA's stocks are about as worthless as TWA's at the buyout. United's doing relatively well and doesn't need to cram passengers in. We'll never see these seats in legacy carriers. And I never understand why AA got rid of the actually good TWA aircraft, like their brand-new 717s in favour of their already used and abused MDs.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 02:36 PM

Sure, if you and/or your company can afford it.

-t
My worst so far is an $11,000 ticket - round trip business class to Singapore booked a day or two in advance.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2010, 02:52 PM

I prefer planes without other people on them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2010, 02:53 PM

I'm talking about the age of the equipment (planes, flight attendants), not how good/bad shape the company is in general.

-t

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2010, 05:43 PM

My worst so far is an $11,000 ticket - round trip business class to Singapore booked a day or two in advance.
WOW !!

I can remember my Dad talking for months about a concorde flight that he took between London and New York years ago that cost (IIRC) £5000. He's 6'4" and he said it was really uncomfortable as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules