Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Missing iLife

Missing iLife
Peter H
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 10:37 PM

Hi,

As a new member to this forum, I'll start of by saying Hello all. My name's Peter and I am living in Norfolk, UK.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to buy a new iMac. I telephoned Apple and asked how soon after Leopard is released will I be able to purchase an iMac with Leopard on. They said straight away, but, if I purchase now (18th Oct) I would be able to upgrade to leopard for just £5.95. I asked if I would still get iLife '08 and they said yes, so I purchased it. As promised it had Tiger and iLife '08 pre installed.
When Leopard arrived on Monday (29th October) I decided to do a 'clean' install, especially as the disk was a hardware specific disc, and only for sale with hardware.
Anyway, after the install had finished I was upset to find that It didn't come with iLife. So, how do I get iLife (which I purchased a few days earlier with my new computer) back on my iMac?
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Peter

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Peter H View Post
... As promised it had Tiger and iLife '08 pre installed.
When Leopard arrived on Monday (29th October) I decided to do a 'clean' install, especially as the disk was a hardware specific disc, and only for sale with hardware.
Anyway, after the install had finished I was upset to find that It didn't come with iLife. So, how do I get iLife (which I purchased a few days earlier with my new computer) back on my iMac?
Could you use Pacifist and install the iLife components from Tiger?

Cold Warrior
Oct 30, 2007, 10:41 PM

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 10:42 PM

check the tiger install cds (or dvd) that came with your imac, it should be there.
if not, call apple! and explain what happened...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 30, 2007, 10:43 PM

Welcome to the forums!

The iLife installation packages will be on your Tiger system discs. Insert disc 1 and start the "install bundled software only" package. This will bring up the installation program that will let you put the iLife applications back on your iMac.

Peter H  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 08:29 AM

Thank you everyone for your help. I just knew I had come to the right place.

Cold Warrior, I didn't give the search a thought as I assumed this was too early a problem for anyone else to have mentioned it. Plus, I also thought this was unique to me!

Anyway, I did exactly as I was told and installed iLife '08 from the original install discs.

Thanks again everyone. I think I should make this my home page, as I can see myself returning here a lot.

Regards

Peter

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 08:39 AM

This question comes up all of the time, not just when a new version of the OS is introduced.

People buy OSX through out the year and then wonder why it doesn't have iLife. As others have stated here and elsewhere, its a product that you have to purchase. It is bundled with new macs and what seems to confuse people is that apple includes the software on the same system install discs of OSX. So when they purchase the retail copy of OSX they wonder why iLife isn't there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules