Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > White Spots - Samsung to blame? LG to the rescue!

White Spots - Samsung to blame? LG to the rescue!
alwimy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 11:13 AM

I'm on my third LCD screen, all three have the spots although the present one is not as obvious as the previous two.

My AppleCare service provider (in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) personally brought my powerbook down to the regional service hub in Singapore to be examined by AppleCare.

The outcome so far: The present LCD's by Samsung are being replaced by LG screens. My replacement screen is "on order" although apparently there is a worldwide shortage due to the spots problem.

This must be costing Apple but hey - it's costing ME too!

I am using my powerbook while waiting for the part to arrive. It is otherwise the best Mac I've had and I've had many.

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 03:00 PM

How do you know what brand of lcd's in your Albook? Unfortunately, the sysem profiler doesn't go quite that far.

this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 04:46 PM

My brother's was just replaced with a Samsung, not LG.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 05:44 PM

LG to the rescue? That's incredible. I would have thought LG would be TO BLAME because that's .. just.. a very LGish thing
Aloha

El Diablo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 05:57 PM

I thought I read somewhere that the LCDs that shipped with the Albooks were actually not Samsungs. I've also heard that the spots are being caused by foam spacers behind the LCD to support the Aluminum from bending.

Either way, I'm holding off my purchase until the problem is resovled. Good luck to those dealing with it now

Allenzi35
Nov 2, 2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Link:
LG to the rescue? That's incredible. I would have thought LG would be TO BLAME because that's .. just.. a very LGish thing
I was thinking the same thing. I would NOT praise the fact the Apple uses LG.

I don't think the screen manufacturer is to blame anyway.

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 06:11 PM

From what I read, the Powerbooks assembled week 40 (starting sept 29) and later were mostly unaffected.

It's all in the S/N, first numbers. Mine is:

V7341xxxxNRZ

the 41 says it was assembled week 41. And up to now it's unaffected, after almost one week of intense usage.

Albook 15" 1.25 Superdrive.

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by bobette:
From what I read, the Powerbooks assembled week 40 (starting sept 29) and later were mostly unaffected.

V7341xxxxNRZ

the 41 says it was assembled week 41. And up to now it's unaffected, after almost one week of intense usage.

Do you have a source for that info? I have a "week 41" by your definition that replaced one bought in mid-september. The "week 41" replacement also developed "white spots" within a week of not so intense usage.

machem
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 06:51 PM

Mine was a week 39, if that matters. Fixed once, but spots returned (fixed during week 42 or 43 --- wouldn't that imply it should have been a permanent fix?).

My repair report mentioned the new display was a Samsung.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 09:55 PM

Does anyone else have more info to shed light on this Samsung vs. LG screenmaker?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 11:42 PM

I'm so glad the worst problem with my Ti is possible paint problems.

I always try to stay 1 generation or more behind the "bleeding edge of technology"

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 12:01 AM

I would love to know how much this is costing Apple, or are they foisting the costs on to the screen manufacturers?

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Target Practice:
Do you have a source for that info? I have a "week 41" by your definition that replaced one bought in mid-september. The "week 41" replacement also developed "white spots" within a week of not so intense usage.
The fora on macbidouille.com (in french). Then again, mine was made in Taiwan, not in Cork, Ireland.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 04:08 AM

I wouldn't buy anything retail made by LG nor Samsung for that matter. They are typically cheap by cutting corners and using older tech. Though the white spots are mostly related to Apple's design of the screen case I wish they used a better manufacturer. The screen is nice (if it doesn't have white spots) but am a little concerned about longevity. LG isn't going to solve the problem, the casing redesign will.

I have a 15.2 | 1.0 | 768MB | SD | 60 | AE | BL on the way. I checked a few stores here in Europe and all the screens have been perfect. *crosses fingers*
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 07:10 AM

Likely if it's bad enough apple might turn around and sue/settle with whoever's at fault.. that'll help the loss lol
Aloha

cvbcvb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 07:23 AM

Mine's week 43 and no spots (yet)...

CVB

Originally posted by bobette:

V7341xxxxNRZ

alwimy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 08:08 AM

Got my screen replaced today at my Apple Service Center. It was replaced with a LG screen. I see no defects on the screen. More important - there is no "pooling" of the display when I press the back of the screen (Aluminum surface) with my finger as my previous 3 screens had.

I think this is the definitive fix. I will post here with updates, particularly if the spots recur.

Squozen
Nov 3, 2003, 08:09 AM

My week 41 PB has just started showing the spots..

markmentovai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by cvbcvb:
Mine's week 43 and no spots (yet)...
Good luck staying spot-free.

My current V7343 has spots. One, very faint, out of the box. I assured myself that I was seeing thing that weren't there and was happy for 3 days. Then, it was joined by another spot, and then another, and then another.

Now it looks just like the V7339 that it replaced.

Hopefully, a fix will have made it to the assembly line before my next replacement is built.

Mark

Forum Links
Forum Rules