Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen replaced on my AL15"..anyone else get the repair?

Screen replaced on my AL15"..anyone else get the repair?
sharif
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 09:12 PM

I had the dreaded white spots on my new 15" 1.25 model about 2 weeks after I had received it. I called up 1800-SOS-APPL and they sent an overnight box to my house, and it got to Texas (Apple repair) the next day. I got it back about 5 days after I had made the call...however:

The person who fixed my machine remounted the LCD so that it does not latch properly. One side is flush with the case and the other has a 1.5cm gap.

The new LCD that they put on is unevenly lighted. There are black ridges forming an "upside-down U" near the bottom and one near the left edge of the screen.

The backlit keyboard is now lighting keys unevenly, and not lighting the f-keys at all.

I was going to..kinda praise apple..with how quickly the process took...however, I'd almost trade what I have now for white spots.

When I first got my PB, I thought it was amazing. The screen was bright and evenly lit, which was good because of what I do with my laptop...I didnt have to buy an external screen to get pretty good color reproduction. This has now become a huge disappointment.

I'm sending it back now, and I've included a note to Apple Care to not return it unless everything is what I paid for it to be...we'll see what happens in about 5 days from now.

Anyways, anyone else get the white-spot "repair" done?

babajazz
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 12:50 AM

yes...new screen is on the may to my local mac dealer as we speak, those darn spots!

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2003, 04:33 AM

i've been holding off sending mine in. next week i have finals...i can send it in then. the spots have gotten somewhat worse since i first noticed them. not a big deal right now, as i don't have all the image software i want for picture editing. but when i've scanned all my slides in...i'll want an even and spotless display. otherwise, i love it though.

Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 06:44 AM

do they actually have a fix yet?

they replace the screens, but they come back

sharif  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2003, 10:55 AM

They put a new screen on. I was told that its a different screen than the one it shipped with...it looks like the TiBook screen. The Part is made by Samsung (15.2 XGA)

machem
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 02:51 PM

I believe that they have THE FIX (insert angels singing here).

I've had my new 15" 10 days, and though I wouldn't say that is enough time to feel safe, this new lid/LCD is clearly differently constructed. My old machine and my new one weighed a bit different (new one is heavier, and the amount of data on the HD was the same, so it couldn't be that), and the new machine didn't show any pooling when the lid was flexed.

I'd say it's safe to buy a 15" PB.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

Ronanmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2003, 11:48 PM

I called one of the local retailers about my claim for the white spot issue. They ordered me in a new top for the laptop. I dropped it off in the morning and got it back that afternoon. They told me the whole top was replaced. Seems true, the latch is not quite as stiff as it was before. No white spots 3 days after the repair (fingers crossed).

Jason

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2003, 10:50 AM

I didnt know repair centers could the install in house. My repair center said it had to be sent out.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

Ronanmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2003, 10:53 AM

That was what I thought. I was pleasantly surprised to find out my turn around time was less than 4 hours.

Jason

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2003, 02:01 PM

I sent my to the repair center in Denmark, while the screen is perfect they managed to scratch to the raw aluminum on two edges, while small, it shouldn't have happened. Now today I noticed the right edge of the plastic molding has separated. Pushing it in does nothing, it doesn't budge.

The turn around time was 5 days from when I sent the box till I had it back though pretty speedy.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 03:10 PM

Anyone with any experience with getting it done quick in the Portland, OR area? Would the Apple Store do it, even though it was sent in by Apple? (Ordered online).

Thanks.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by sharif:
The person who fixed my machine remounted the LCD so that it does not latch properly. One side is flush with the case and the other has a 1.5cm gap.

1.5cm is a pretty big gap. Do you mean 1.5mm?

sharif  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by cc_foo:
1.5cm is a pretty big gap. Do you mean 1.5mm?
yeah, sorry

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 8, 2003, 12:41 AM

I wouldnt assume any length of time is safe. I bought my 15" Al book the night Panther was released and it just today showed a white spot. Its not bad yet, but I'll be taking this back to the Apple Store I bought it from the day before 90 days, then getting Apple Care.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

El Berserko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
I'll be taking this back to the Apple Store I bought it from the day before 90 days, then getting Apple Care.
Don't you have a full year to get the screen replaced? The white spots are a warrantee issue therefore it should be covered for the full year. I thought the 90 days is for free telephone support and had nothing to do with actual repairs. I guess buying AppleCare at 90 days would ensure full seamless telephone support, but shouldn't be necessary at that time for a repair.

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 8, 2003, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by El Berserko:
Don't you have a full year to get the screen replaced? The white spots are a warrantee issue therefore it should be covered for the full year. I thought the 90 days is for free telephone support and had nothing to do with actual repairs. I guess buying AppleCare at 90 days would ensure full seamless telephone support, but shouldn't be necessary at that time for a repair.
I'll ask th Genius bar when I go in next time. Thanks

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

nagromme
Senior User
Dec 9, 2003, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by machem:

My old machine and my new one weighed a bit different (new one is heavier, and the amount of data on the HD was the same, so it couldn't be that)
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules