Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Very Unhappy Thanksgiving... Spilled Coffee onto my MBP!

Very Unhappy Thanksgiving... Spilled Coffee onto my MBP!
TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2007, 02:08 PM

Yeah, it was not a good morning - a whole cup of coffee into the MBP. Amazingly, the unit mostly works. The keyboard is dead, but the rest of the unit seems to be okay. (Interestingly, the Trackpad worked, but not for tap-clicking... but two fingered scrolling works)

Just a week ago, I had put a 250GB HD in there... so I ordered the replacement parts from an eBay seller, and I'll see if I can get it back working again.

How aggravating.. I am usually so careful around my electronics too. Hard way to learn a lesson!.

Cold Warrior
Nov 22, 2007, 02:21 PM

sorry to hear that

my MBP is my universe on the road. TV, movies, video chat, email, work. I'd be lost without it.

TyPod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 03:18 PM

That sucks. I would be so angry if that happened to my MacBook Pro.

Chooglin'
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 04:50 PM

My powerbook has been dropped on a hard floor from three feet up and had water spilled in it, and it's still like new and going strong.

TyPod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chooglin' View Post
My powerbook has been dropped on a hard floor from three feet up and had water spilled in it, and it's still like new and going strong.
That's sweet. I hope I get that lucky if/whenever I drop a laptop.

TailsToo  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2007, 08:56 PM

I'm at least happy that my data is safe and it seems to work other than the keyboard. If I can get away with just replacing the upper case, I'll be thrilled. I thought I was going to be out shopping for a new unit tomorrow.

TyPod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
I'm at least happy that my data is safe and it seems to work other than the keyboard. If I can get away with just replacing the upper case, I'll be thrilled. I thought I was going to be out shopping for a new unit tomorrow.
The keyboard only got damaged? That's not as bad as it could've been. I wonder how hard it is to come across upper cases for MacBook Pro's.

JohnPlantada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2007, 12:16 AM

Do you have coverage for you computers on your renter's/homeowners insurance? It may be easier just to pull the hard drive and put in a claim...
Not everything that matters can be measured, and not everything that can be measured matters.
--- Albert Einstein

http://web.mac.com/johnplantada

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2007, 03:19 AM

Becareful of making a claim, will putting you into a high risk category/higher premiums.
I wouldn't make a claim for somethng like that. Remove the keyboard, clean it up and let it dry for a couple of days. Use an external keyboard, if no problems, then just the keyboard needs to be replaced.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2007, 10:44 AM

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2007, 11:03 AM

I'm sending you electronic hugs. I would cry if I killed my computer in that way. Which is why I don't drink coffee.

For me it would probably end up being OJ spilled on it.

I've had two friends spill glasses of water onto their laptops. Its always a sad thing.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2007, 02:48 PM

I feel for you, like others I'd be lost without mine.

If you bought your MBP with a credit card, see if it covered. I know amex does this some kind of accident insurance type of thing. But if you need your machine right away then you can purchase parts on the net like zerock suggested.
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2007, 05:42 PM

Be aware that top cases from the Core 2s will not fit the older Core 1s.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

TailsToo  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 12:03 PM

Okay, so the guy I got the parts from did send me the wrong ones last week, but I have the right ones on the way. So hopefully Wednesday night I'll have the computer back up and running.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2007, 12:43 PM

I spilled a cup of coffee into an IBM ThinkPad a while back - luckily no milk or sugar - just dried it out, and it was fine - just smelled a little fragrant, but in a good way!

Anoesis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2007, 11:35 AM

Best way to prevent damage to at least the keyboard is the iskin, spilling coffee on it sucks. I have fixed tons of laptops with a variety of liquids on them, wine is the worst cuz when they dry up it smells really bad.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Anoesis View Post
Best way to prevent damage to at least the keyboard is the iskin, spilling coffee on it sucks. I have fixed tons of laptops with a variety of liquids on them, wine is the worst cuz when they dry up it smells really bad.
Actually the best way to prevent damage, is not to drink near the laptop in the first place.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Actually the best way to prevent damage, is not to drink near the laptop in the first place.
Or if you are that paranoid, put it in the China Cabinet and put the light on it.
(LOL)

It is a computer meant to be used!

I always keep a spare old TIPB around & A CLONED drive in case of emergency!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
Or if you are that paranoid, put it in the China Cabinet and put the light on it.
(LOL)

It is a computer meant to be used!

I always keep a spare old TIPB around & A CLONED drive in case of emergency!
Yeah, and I use it. That doesn't mean I'm going to have a glass/cup/mug of liquid near it. The MBP cost me a lot and I'm not going to be doing anyhting foolish that will endanger my investment. How is that being paranoid? Sounds like common sense to me. Risk of spilling something, remove the risk. Kind of duh don't you think

TailsToo  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2007, 09:13 PM

YES!!!

After about one hour of Surgery, my MBP is back in action, as good as new!!! It's just going to take me a bit to get used to a new keyboard again.

It really wasn't that hard of a repair at all - I think I might have stripped one the screws down on the front side of the battery bay, but all in all, I am very pleased! (and glad that I only had to spend $250 to get her running again)

I am amazed that I only had to replace the top case... there really was a whole cup of coffee in here, and because of the way Apple engineered this, most of it stayed right in the keyboard and never got to the insides of the machine. Great job, Apple!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules