Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installer hangs halfway through install

Installer hangs halfway through install
RoBrak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2000, 01:22 AM

Having trouble installing Mac OS X beta on the following machine:
PM 9600
Sonnet G3 500 Mhz
384MB RAM
internal 4.5 GB FireballST (2 partitions:OS 9.0.4, and partition for X, both formatted in HFS +)
internal 18 GB Atlas III SCA
internal Zip 100
24X internal CD ROM
Keyspan UBS card
Orangemicro Firewire card
ATI RAGE 128 / 32 MB vram

Problem:
Installer freezes approximately halfway through the install
Either it just freezes the installer window (the thermometer bar just stays in one place but still pulses) or the installer screen vanishes and just a blue screen with empty title bar appears with the revolving beach ball. Must do cold shut down and boot.

Tried installing several times with and without the PCI cards (just the ATI) and it stalls at exactly the same place

I used the installer log window during install and it freezes at the same place with this message:

Installer[39[ - [NSPackageController(Protected)prepare]: Doing install with target
/private/var/tmp/

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Installation/Resources/pax
could not read compressed data: undefined error: 0

Installer [39] pax Undefined error: 0 : End of archive volume 1 reached

Installer [39] pax Undefined error: 0 : Warning! These patterns are not matched:

pax[55] Thread 0x30250: tossing reply message sequence 49777

Steps taken:

I determined that the installer CD is OK. Reinstalled X on my Powerbook with no problems.

Removed all cards except the ATI: same problem

Installed a different CD ROM: same problem

Repartitioned and reformated the Fireball and reinstalled OS 9 and tried installing X again, wth the same result.

What do I do next?

The only thing I can think of is that the Fireball has some bad blocks that Disk setup could not detect.

Help!
RB

kiwi
Nov 25, 2000, 12:56 PM

Try installing on another disk and check that your configuration (9600 + G3 card) is suported or if someone already succed installing OS X on such a configuration.
Kiwi

RoBrak  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2000, 12:59 AM

Tried a different HD only for X and installed again with the same result.
I am giving up on the beta in hopes that the final version of X and the subsequent drivers from Sonnet will work.

RB

Forum Links
Forum Rules