Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Open Firmware boot between X or 9.1

Open Firmware boot between X or 9.1
RoBrak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2001, 11:00 PM

I have a Wallstreet that I force to boot into Open Firmware at startup. I can then select to boot to X using 'boot' or 9.1 using 'bye' at the Open Firmware command line. My friend has a G3 B&W. He can boot into Open Firmware, but cannot figure out the commands to boot into X or 9.1. Bye and boot commands do not work on this machine. Anyone know the commands for a B&W?

RB

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2001, 11:40 PM

How about the commands for a the original iMacs?! I had the OpenFirmware boot screen show up so many times with previous builds of OS X it wasn't even funny!

------------------
Think different.
--------------------
"I'm so afraid, the way I feel. Days when the rain and the sun are gone. Black as night. Agony's torn at my heart too long. So afraid, slip and I fall and I die..." - Lindsey Buckingham
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

coitus
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2001, 12:42 PM

I am running X on a G4 450 DP with 384 of RAM and have a 20GB hard drive partitioned into 3 GB for X and 17 GB for 9.1. I was experiencing a startup into a frozen open firmware screen (when booting from 9.1 to X) that was frozen.

To resolve this I had to unplug my machine and hold down the (PMU?) reset button located by the PRAM battery. I would hold this for between 30-seconds to 1-minute, close my tower up, plug it in, and then it would boot to OS X just fine.

I've read on macfixit that there is an issue with users having 192 of RAM installed. I was in this boat (with a 128 and a 64 stick). Removing the 64 solved my problem, and I've since bought a 256 stick. All seems peachy.

Here is the link for the article on macfixit:

http://www.macfixit.com/archives/feb...openfirm-02-09

I don't know if any of this applies directly to your problem since you are running on a powerbook but if you have 192 of RAM installed it might be something to consider.

coitus

Forum Links
Forum Rules