Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Install on 9600 with Sonnet - Finally!

Install on 9600 with Sonnet - Finally!
RoBrak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2001, 01:17 PM

I have a 9600 with 500Mhz G3 Sonnet, Keyspan USB card, Orange Micro Firewire card, 18 and 4.5 GB internal drives and 384 MB RAM. I have tried six times to install beta on this machine with no luck. It went halfway through the install a froze at exactly the same place. I pulled all nonessential cards, put beta on it's own HD, everything was tried, but nothing worked except... it's the RAM!!! I removed all but 128MB of the 384 and the install succeeded the first try. Either the installer cannot handle that amount of RAM or during extraction and installation, it ran into a bad block of RAM as it was loading the DIMM's to write to the HD.

The beta rans dog slow. The Apple Profiler indicated that the CPU is a G3, but running at only 125Mhz. It does indicate 384MB of RAM after I reinstalled the DIMM's. Any way to speed things up apart from waiting for Sonnet to come out with drivers?

RB

pmcd
Senior User
Jan 3, 2001, 05:17 AM

Well you could speed it up by putting back the 350MHz 604ev I run OSX on a stock 8600/300 and it's fine. Now, I assume you don't want to do that so jus get the utility for enabling the L2 cache on the Sonnet card. You'll find it at http://homepage.mac.com/RyanRempel/L...easeNotes.html

Philip

Originally posted by RoBrak:
I have a 9600 with 500Mhz G3 Sonnet, Keyspan USB card, Orange Micro Firewire card, 18 and 4.5 GB internal drives and 384 MB RAM. I have tried six times to install beta on this machine with no luck. It went halfway through the install a froze at exactly the same place. I pulled all nonessential cards, put beta on it's own HD, everything was tried, but nothing worked except... it's the RAM!!! I removed all but 128MB of the 384 and the install succeeded the first try. Either the installer cannot handle that amount of RAM or during extraction and installation, it ran into a bad block of RAM as it was loading the DIMM's to write to the HD.

The beta rans dog slow. The Apple Profiler indicated that the CPU is a G3, but running at only 125Mhz. It does indicate 384MB of RAM after I reinstalled the DIMM's. Any way to speed things up apart from waiting for Sonnet to come out with drivers?

RB

RoBrak  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2001, 12:23 PM

Thanks. I will try it.

RB

Forum Links
Forum Rules