Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Harddrive hidden in OS9 after X install

Harddrive hidden in OS9 after X install
RoBrak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2000, 11:53 AM

nstalled OS X on a 9600 with Sonnet 500 G3 on a 2.0 GB parition on a 4.5 GB drive, the rest is OS9. The machine has (had) a 18GB internal drive for OS9 applications. After install of X, the 18GB is not visible when booting into OS9, but is visible booting into X. Booting into 9, the drive is mounted according to HDTK, Drive Setup, and Disk First Aid. You can search the 18GB via Sherlock but all the files are 'dimmed out'. If you search for all files the shart with 18 (18GB is the name of the drive) that are invisible using Sherlock, the only thing it finds is the 18GB, so I assume the X made the entire drive and everything in it hidden. All aliases for files or apps on the 18GB are 'dead'.
The DT on the 18GB cannot be rebuilt, and PRAM has been zapped. ResEdit is of no use because it cannot see the drive in the open dialog box either. How can I get the 18GB back short of reformatting?? Help!!!

RB

griffman
Senior User
Dec 30, 2000, 01:42 PM

I'm pretty sure you've run into one of the known bugs with the PB. Alsoft made a utility to make invisible drives visible again. Hopefully it will work for you...

Go here:

http://askal.asecureserver.com:591/F...2&-Skip=0&-fin d

If that URL doesn't work (it appears to be too long for UBB to handle), go to www.alsoft.com, and click on the "Ask Al" item about invisible disks. You have to fill out a short form, but it's a free program.

G'luck;

-rob.

------------------
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-build OS X hints and tips site.

[This message has been edited by griffman (edited 12-30-2000).]
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

RoBrak  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2000, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the lifesaving advice!! Have a Happy New Year!

RB

mactropolis
Senior User
Dec 31, 2000, 04:12 AM

so your late to the OS X PB game -- what do u think of it?
Death To Extremists!

RoBrak  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2000, 01:25 PM

Not late, just had to determine the cause of the installation failure the first six times. I purchased the beta when it first was available. I just stopped after so many failed attempts.

It was not the USB, Firewire, ATI or even the Sonnet card. Not the X partition, other HD's in the case, not the CD ROM. It was the RAM.

I pulled all but 128MB of the 384MB of RAM and the install was a success. Either the installer cannot handle that much RAM during the installation and extraction process or it ran into some bad RAM as it was loading the DIMM's from the CD ROM (the install always failed in SAME place in the installation process). I will put the RAM back in as soon as I determine if X is stable on the 9600 with all the cards in place.

Thoughts: the same ones the I have with X running on my Wallstreet
1. Slow: X and Classic startup, Classic apps run OK, but even small X apps launch and run painfully slow. Need better integration between X and Classic. Seems too much like SoftWindows!
2. Pathetic window resizing and redrawing.
3. No control strip or Apple menu.
4. Get rid of the eye candy and make it conform to the Mac interface that took over 15 years to develop and perfect. I do not want a Mac version of Linux Redhat.

RB

Forum Links
Forum Rules