Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Connecting to Mac server behind Airport

Connecting to Mac server behind Airport
rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2003, 03:04 PM

I have a Quicksilver dual processor G4 desktop connected to Cox Cable at home, which I would access on the road or in the office to download or transfer files from my Powerbook or my LCD iMac. I also used Apple Remote Desktop to occasionally remote control the G4 from work. Recently, I decided to set up a wireless network at home using Airport and got my G4 wirelessly hooked up to an airport base station. However, I can no longer access it from the office or get Remote Desktop at work to find my G4. I tried manually changing the IP of the G4 to 10.0.1.201 and using Airport's administrative app to assign another port (5000, for example) to my G4's IP with still no luck. When I choose Connect to Server from my office Mac, should I type in the IP in the form of afp://XXX.XXX.XXX:5000? Is the IP in this case the base station's IP or 10.0.1.201? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 03:10 PM

you need to get the basestations ip adress, the one that the internet sees it as. it is the public (WAN) ip address on the main page when you configure your basestation.

then with rdc you will put in that ipaddress but the port you mapped to your imac.

so in rdc it would be something like x.x.x.x:5000 and then the airport will see the incoming request on port 5000 and send it to your imac

should work. i have vnc setup like this

Forum Links
Forum Rules